Ocean City Prepares Funding for Beach Replenishment

first_imgBy DONALD WITTKOWSKIOcean City is expected to introduce a funding ordinance Thursday to pay for its share of a beach replenishment project that may include extra sand to help restore the shoreline following a coastal storm that pounded the resort with unusually high tides.City spokesman Doug Bergen said beaches along the entire length of the barrier island experienced erosion from the storm, which lingered about 200 miles offshore from Oct. 9 to the morning of Oct. 12. More than three days of destructive high tides and strong winds combined to damage the beaches and dunes in towns along the Jersey Shore.“Beaches across the length of Ocean City eroded in the gale earlier this month – as they do in all sustained coastal storm events,” Bergen said in an email. “The beaches in the blocks around Fifth Street are typically most vulnerable to erosion. The ocean breached the dune there.“The rock groin at 59th Street, which had been completely buried by the most recent replenishment project, is now fully exposed. Those two areas saw the most severe damage,” he continued.Coming at just the right time, Ocean City, Sea Isle City and Strathmere are part of a new U.S. Army Corps of Engineers beach replenishment project that will deposit a total of 2.4 million cubic yards of fresh sand along the eroded shoreline of all three towns starting this fall.A $32.5 million contract been awarded for the project. However, there are options built into the contract that could push the cost up to $41.3 million if surveys of the storm-damaged beaches show that even more sand is needed for replenishment.The Army Corp of Engineers and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection will pay for most of the cost, but Ocean City, Sea Isle and Strathmere will also kick in a portion.Bergen said Ocean City’s share is expected to be around $1.6 million. However, the bond ordinance scheduled to be introduced Thursday by City Council will include $2 million in funding to make sure the city is covered if there is a cost increase with the beach replenishment project.“(Ocean City) Finance Director Frank Donato has been in touch with the state Department of Environmental Protection on cost estimates. Based on the recent storm, he will include money for extra beach (sand) and for an extra stockpile of sand to rebuild dunes,” Bergen said.City officials are discussing plans for an extra stockpile of sand to help rebuild the storm-damaged dunes.According to initial figures, Ocean City will receive 800,000 cubic yards of new sand to replenish the beaches in the north end of town from Seaview Road to 13th Street. Another 455,000 cubic yards of sand will help restore the beaches in the southern end from 49th to 59th streets.The project is scheduled to get underway this fall and be completed in time for the 2020 summer tourism season.A spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers said that even more sand may be added to the replenishment project once an analysis is done of the beaches and dunes in Ocean City, Sea Isle and Strathmere.Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Company, of Oak Brook, Ill., the contractor for the replenishment project, will conduct “pre-placement surveys” of the beaches prior to beginning the work to determine if the Army Corps of Engineers should consider the option for more sand.“We analyze that data that comes back from that (survey) and if it calls for additional sand, which certainly wouldn’t be surprising in this case, that’s where the options for the contract come in,” said Ed Voigt, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers.Options built into the contract could increase the cost of the beach replenishment project to $41.3 million, depending on the findings by Great Lakes. The hope is that there will be enough funding to pay for all of the sand that is needed to restore the beaches in all three towns.“If the funds are more than enough to cover the additional sand that is needed, then we pump all of the sand,” Voigt said. “If we can only do some of it, then we’ll use the options to assess what’s available and do the best we can.”Until those surveys are completed, it is impossible for the Army Corps of Engineers to say unequivocally whether the amount of sand will be increased, Voigt explained.“We can’t predict right now,” he said. “The options will certainly help. That’s all I can say. We won’t know until we get those pre-placement surveys and then go from there.”The storm sliced into the dunes, leaving cliff-like walls in some spots along the beach. Beach replenishment is critical for the shore’s tourism market. last_img read more

Syracuse basketball’s frontcourt handles foul trouble in rout over Wake Forest

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 16, 2016 at 3:58 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @SamBlum3 WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Tyler Lydon put his hands on his hips then moved them to interlock on the back of his head. A reach-in foul on a driving Mitchell Wilbekin put Lydon, and Syracuse, in as much trouble they could be in with a 23-point lead.It was Lydon’s fourth foul. That matched with the four fouls on starting center Dajuan Coleman. Forwards Malachi Richardson and Tyler Roberson each had three, which gave the Orange few big-man options with 13 minutes and 59 seconds left to play.“It’s the first time this year where we’ve had so many guys in foul trouble,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “We haven’t had that.”So when that trouble caught up to SU, and when Lydon was forced out of the game, it was Chinonso Obokoh who ran to the scorer’s table to check in. Obokoh had logged just 12 Atlantic Coast Conference minutes to date, but helped secure a game in which the SU big men had a dominant performance shortened due to foul trouble. Lydon and Coleman were limited to 33 effective combined minutes, and Obokoh played 13 of his own in Syracuse’s (12-7, 2-4 ACC) 83-55 blowout win over Wake Forest (10-7, 1-4) on Saturday afternoon.MORE COVERAGE AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTrevor Cooney’s 25 points lead Syracuse in 83-55 romp of Wake ForestJim Boeheim on win over Wake Forest: ‘We had by the far the best defense we’ve played this year’What we learned from Syracuse basketball’s 83-55 win against Wake Forest Roberson had 16 points and 13 rebounds. Lydon found his stroke to the tune of 11 points and Coleman said he’s beginning to feel like his old self after going 3-for-3 from the field. Boeheim said everyone played well, including Obokoh, who helped ensure their strong performance didn’t go to waste.“That’s just the way the game goes sometimes,” Lydon said. “Calls weren’t going our way for a little bit there, but we just fought through it. It’s something we’ve got to be better at … just getting out of foul trouble.”Coleman scored Syracuse’s first two points from a player other than Trevor Cooney with a power dribble under the baseline that preluded a ferocious dunk. Less than four minutes later, he finished on an and-one at the rim. He showed a developing offensive capability, but couldn’t match his 26.5 minutes per game average that he’s posted since Boeheim returned from suspension.Lydon said he felt better shooting in Saturday’s game than he has in the weeks prior. In the first half he knocked down two 3s on the wing and finished a dunk when he was playing at center. But foul trouble prevented a good night from being a much bigger one.And when SU’s primary two center options were forced to sit, Obokoh played well defensively. He drew a charge — he said his first blocking foul should have been a charge too — and collected three rebounds, a block and a steal.“Chino did a good enough job that we didn’t have to go back with Dajuan and Tyler until right at the end there,” Boeheim said. “So that was good experience for Chino. I was glad to see him do what he did. His stat sheet won’t show it, but he was good on defense and I just thought he did a nice job out there.”On the day, Syracuse out-rebounded Wake Forest 43-35 and outscored the Demon Deacons 32-20 in the paint. The Orange out-fouled WFU 27-19, which led to 17 more free throws for Wake Forest. The Orange usually out-rebounds its opponents and takes more free throws. The numbers on Saturday were counterintuitive to the types of games that Syracuse has played this season.And most of them were a reflection of the play from their go-to big men, the ones that have been there all year. It forced Syracuse to use someone else to help finish what it started. Obokoh, by the time he was called upon, was the only option.“I always keep my mind straight,” Obokoh said. “Whenever my name is called, I just go and play the game. I helped my team to win.” Comments Related Stories Trevor Cooney’s 25 points lead Syracuse in 83-55 romp of Wake ForestFast reaction: Syracuse basketball blows out Wake Forest in 28-point winSyracuse community reacts to win over Wake ForestGrade Syracuse’s performance against Wake Forest and vote for the player of the gamelast_img read more

Lax has what it takes to win it all

first_imgI figured it wouldn’t happen a second time in a row. Two years ago, during another very strong season in 2014, the women’s lacrosse team improved its national reputation as a formidable team, continuing to grow as one of the up-and-coming programs. But the Women of Troy hadn’t broken away as the clear force to be reckoned with, the true best of the west, in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.The Women of Troy dropped three of nine conference games  in 2014, including a heartbreaking overtime thriller at Colorado by a score of 12-11. The Women of Troy followed that up with another frustrating 1-goal loss that weekend at Denver, losing 8-7. Denver was already one of the dominant forces in women’s lacrosse on the West Coast, so it was easier to understand how an upstart USC program wasn’t quite on the Pioneers’ level yet.The loss to Colorado, though, was an upset in the other direction. Colorado was the kind of team USC had to beat consistently if it wanted to be a threat to win the conference. Not that there are any games to give away in a nine-game conference season, but splitting between Denver and Stanford still leaves open the possibility of finishing on top of the standings. Everybody else, though, including Colorado, are pretty much must-wins.It’s similar to the football team’s season. There’s usually enough parity and margin for error for ’SC to drop one to either Stanford or Oregon, but win every other game, and finish on top of the standings. It’s arguably more important that the Trojans show up for all of the potential sleepers and avoid a bad upset than it is for the Trojans to be at a different level against the toughest competition.So that’s what made this year’s trip to the Rockies so important for the women’s lacrosse team. Not only would it feature arguably the Trojans’ toughest conference test all season in Denver, but it also featured the biggest opportunity for an upset. It was so crucial that the Women of Troy brought their best focus into Boulder. Because as the late and great Star Wars voice actor Erik Bauersfeld would say, “It’s a trap.”Sure enough, the Women of Troy found themselves back in overtime.Let’s backtrack a bit — up until that point, this had been by far the best season in the program’s history. The Women of Troy are undefeated, they have climbed into the top-10 of the national poll and they looked poised to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.The biggest win up before the Colorado trip was a breakout performance against Duke. The Blue Devils, one of the perennial national powers, knocked the Women of Troy out of playoffs the year before and advanced all the way to the national semifinals. But with a big 11-5 win over the Blue Devils, the Women of Troy not only avenged last year’s playoff loss but also set the tone for the rest of this season. The new expectations were that this team would be a legitimate national title contender — this would be the season the Women of Troy take another huge step forward.Since then, the Women of Troy had done nothing but dominate. They certainly validated the updated national polls that continue to rank them higher and higher. With the exception of a 14-10 victory over Stony Brook, a well-established East Coast program, the Women of Troy won all nine of their next games by at least 9 goals.In some ways, it was a great sign for the program. They were truly wiping the floor with the MPSF competition. But the team was in need of a challenge. Not only had the team played every game in California, including the Duke matchup, but the Blue Devils were the only opponent really on USC’s level.So that’s what made the Colorado trip crucial. It was not just the undefeated record of the team that was on the line, or the chance to take command of the MPSF standings and set the team up for an advantageous NCAA tournament run. It was a chance for the team to show its true mental toughness.It certainly wasn’t a flawless performance. I’m sure players would say that Colorado shouldn’t be the kind of team taking USC to the brink of defeat. But in the face of the team’s first true test, the team answered the call. It showed up and made the big plays when they mattered most, and came away with a hard-earned victory.The road will continue to get harder. The Women of Troy will still have to hit Stanford and visit another national power in Northwestern this weekend.But the team made another big step this weekend. This season is no longer about USC hypothetically having a shot at the national title, or having the talent to compete for a national title. This team legitimately could win it all in its fourth-ever season. The Women of Troy seriously have what it takes.Luke Holthouse is junior majoring in policy, planning and development and print and digital journalism. His column, “Holthouse Party,” runs on every other Wednesday.last_img read more