It’s Official: The Verizon iPhone

first_imgThe Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology It’s finally here. The Verizon iPhone. The announcement today in New York City effectively ends AT&T’s three-year exclusivity as the phone’s sole U.S. carrier. The Verizon iPhone will go on sale early next month.Lowell McAdam, Verizon president and COO opened the announcement by touting the strength of the Verizon network. “We’ve made great broadband the hallmark of our service,” he said. “We have a history of pushing the envelope in network innovation.” McAdam was then joined on stage by Apple’s COO Tim Cook, making the long-awaited partnership official.The Verizon iPhone will have “all the features you expect” and will work on Verizon’s CDMA network, the company’s equivalent to 3G. This means the Verizon iPhone won’t be taking advantage of the LTE network that the company has been building and that it showcased last week at CES.Existing Verizon customers will be able to pre-order their iPhones on Feb. 3, and on Feb. 10, everyone will be able to order them – online and in Verizon and Apple stores. The iPhone will cost $199 for the 16 GB version and $299 for the 32 GB phone – and as with AT&T, this will require a two-year contract. Included with the Verizon iPhone, however, will be the ability to generate a mobile hotspot, connecting up to five devices.That’s something that isn’t currently available to AT&T iPhone users. While today’s announcement ends the battle between the two carriers over which company can offer the iPhone, it hardly puts an end to their competition. AT&T has long sneered at Verizon’s ability to match its data speeds. But AT&T has struggled to keep up with iPhone users’ heavy data consumption, and made the decision with the release of the iPhone 4 to restrict new customers to a limited data plan. Verizon, for its part, seems confident enough in its infrastructure that, according to The Wall Street Journal, it plans to offer iPhone customers unlimited data. There was no word at today’s press conference, however, about data caps or pricing for data plans.Verizon says it expects to be able to provide an iPhone to all its customers that want one. After the long wait for the iPhone, we’ll see if Verizon customers – and disgruntled AT&T customers – grab one now, or if they wait just a few more months, when Apple is expected to roll out an iPhone 5. Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Tags:#mobile#news#NYT#web audrey watterscenter_img Related Posts Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech …last_img read more

Tyson Fury urges UK Anti-Doping for resolution

first_imgMOST READ View comments Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics PLAY LIST 00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH02:24Sotto urges Robredo to accept antidrug post01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LATEST STORIES Fury, who admitted last October to taking cocaine to alleviate depression, was told by the British Boxing Board of Control in May his license was suspended “pending further investigation by UKAD into anti-doping and medical issues”.Fury beat Klitschko on points in a world title fight in November 2015 and once held both the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and World Boxing Association (WBA) belts now held by compatriot Anthony Joshua.But mental health problems forced him to relinquish his titles, while his license to box was subsequently suspended by the British Boxing Board of Control. Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad  London, United Kingdom — Britain’s troubled former heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury challenged the UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) body to either hurry up and ban him for taking an illegal substance or clear him to resume his turbulent career.The 29-year-old, who has not fought since his shock defeat of Wladimir Klitschko to win the WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight titles in November 2015, is waiting to appear in front of a UKAD hearing after being charged with a doping offense over a year ago.ADVERTISEMENT BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  UKAD postponed the original hearing in May — because of a potential conflict of interest involving a member of the panel— and have yet to announce when it will be held.“How long must I be held up and kept out of action?” tweeted Fury on Monday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“It’s been 15 months since I’ve been under investigation, you’re keeping an innocent man from fulfilling his destiny and from providing for his family.”UKAD refused to comment on Fury’s case, adding there is no timescale for its investigation. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next Lady Chiefs fuel F4 drive Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Fury, whose cousin Hughie takes on WBO heavyweight world champion Joseph Parker in Manchester this Saturday, said UKAD were denying him his human rights.“Everybody else is dealt with in a few months, why must I be treated any differently?” he tweeted.“Surely there must be a human rights law preventing this from happening to people!“Either ban me or set me free as I’ve been in limbo for a long time! I want to move on with my life!“Clear my name and let me return to my former glory.”ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversarylast_img read more

18 days agoReal Madrid midfielder Fede Valverde: I’ll keep running until my legs burst

first_imgReal Madrid midfielder Fede Valverde: I’ll keep running until my legs burstby Carlos Volcano18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid midfielder Fede Valverde was proud of his performance in victory over Granada.Valverde won great praise from coach Zinedine Zidane for his display.And the youngster stated: “I’m going to offer my thing, I’m an all round midfielder.”I have the fitness to press and whenever I can I’m going to do so, until I burst legs…” “This is the beginning, nothing more,” Valverde added. About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img

CPJ Says New Distribution Centre Will Keep Hotels Adequately Supplied

first_img The company’s founder and co-chairman, Tom Tyler, gave the pledge as he addressed the official opening of CPJ’s US$10-million Distribution Centre in Freeport, Montego Bay, on February 12. Story Highlights He said that the state-of-the-art building is a realisation of the vision, at the company’s establishment in 1994, to sell, market and distribute a wide and high-quality selection of consumables and “formalise distribution to Jamaica’s fast-growing hotel industry”. With the country’s hotel room stock projected to reach approximately 48,000 by 2022, local food distributor, Caribbean Producers Jamaica Limited (CPJ), is pledging to ensure that the hospitality sector “will always be adequately supplied”.center_img With the country’s hotel room stock projected to reach approximately 48,000 by 2022, local food distributor, Caribbean Producers Jamaica Limited (CPJ), is pledging to ensure that the hospitality sector “will always be adequately supplied”.The company’s founder and co-chairman, Tom Tyler, gave the pledge as he addressed the official opening of CPJ’s US$10-million Distribution Centre in Freeport, Montego Bay, on February 12.He said that the state-of-the-art building is a realisation of the vision, at the company’s establishment in 1994, to sell, market and distribute a wide and high-quality selection of consumables and “formalise distribution to Jamaica’s fast-growing hotel industry”.Founder and Co-Chairman of Caribbean Producers Jamaica Limited (CPJ), Tom Tyler, addressing the official opening of the company’s Distribution Centre in Freeport, Montego Bay on February 12. “We are a strategic partner to the hotel industry, the island’s largest revenue earner. By providing the widest range of goods to meet the demands of local and foreign visitors alike, CPJ helps to build Jamaica as an international destination,” he noted.The company’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Dr. David Lowe, said the opening of the new distribution centre, which has “significantly expanded capacity”, demonstrates CPJ’s commitment to support some of the most important industries in Jamaica.“By building a First-World facility, this will enable us to accommodate the planned and massive growth in the hotel sector over the next five years.”Dr. Lowe said that by providing the additional capacity to supply food service right across the island, CPJ is confident that it will continue to be a critical stakeholder in the tourism industry.“We are getting ahead of the curve by being ready to accommodate this demand,” he noted.“We have won the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) award for the being the best purveyor for 10 of the last 11 years and we want to continue earning the trust and support by evolving and investing in our ability to service the industry. It will allow us to implement the latest processes and technology that will create greater efficiencies and cost containment as we grow,” he added.For his part, JHTA President, Omar Robinson, said that CPJ’s relationship with the hotel sector is “invaluable”.He said that in anticipation of the thousands of new rooms that will be coming on stream over the next five years, “it is comforting to have a distribution company like CPJ to ensure that the hotels are never short on supplies and where guests will be provided with top-quality products”.last_img read more

Logan Stieber named Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year

Ohio State’s Logan Stieber reacts after winning his fourth consecutive NCAA title by beating Edinboro’s Mitchell Port in the 141-pound championship match during the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships on March 21, 2015, at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.Credit: Courtesy of TNSAfter winning his fourth individual national championship in as many years and helping the Ohio State wrestling team to its first-ever team championship, Logan Stieber was named the Big Ten Jesse Owens Male Athlete of the Year on Wednesday morning.Stieber, who ended his collegiate career on a 50-match winning streak dating back to December 2013, was the first wrestler in Big Ten history to complete a perfect 4-for-4 individual championship career, and just the fourth college wrestler to ever pull off the feat. He won the Dan Hodge Trophy as the nation’s top wrestler for his senior season, the first recipient in OSU history.“Logan is a special student-athlete who has left a legacy at Ohio State,” OSU wrestling coach Tom Ryan said in a press release. “His four national titles are the first ever for a Big Ten athlete, but it was his ability to lead the program to our first-ever NCAA team title that most accurately defines him. I am proud that someone who has worked as hard as he has for as long as he has is receiving such great recognition.”Wrestling in the 141-pound weight class, the Monroeville, Ohio, native is the fourth OSU athlete to win Male Athlete of the Year honors, following basketball’s Evan Turner in 2010, gymnast Blaine Wilson in 1997 and football’s Eddie George the year prior.A fellow national champion, rowing’s Ashley Bauer, was OSU’s nominee for Female Athlete of the Year honors. However, the award went to Maryland junior lacrosse player Taylor Cummings, who was named Most Outstanding Player of the championship for the national champion Terrapins.Three former OSU athletes have won Female Athlete of the Year accolades: track and field’s Christina Manning in 2012, basketball’s Jessica Davenport in 2007 and volleyball’s Laura Davis in 1995.The award was first issued in 1982 for male athletes, with the honor for females being added a year later.Stieber also saw his name announced Wednesday as a nominee for Best Male College Athlete at ESPN’s 2015 ESPY Awards. Stieber is one of three OSU nominees at the ESPYs, alongside redshirt junior quarterback Cardale Jones for Best Breakthrough Athlete and football coach Urban Meyer for Best Coach/Manager.The ESPY Awards, which can be voted for on ESPN’s website, will be announced live on July 15 at 8 p.m. read more

Football No 4 Ohio State releases depth chart ahead of matchup with

Members of the Ohio State football team sing “Carmen Ohio” following the Ohio State-Oregon State game on Sept. 1. Ohio State won 77-31. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorAfter recording wins over Oregon State and Rutgers to start the 2018 season, No. 4 Ohio State released its depth chart ahead of its first ranked game of the season, a neutral-site matchup against No. 15 TCU. After defeating the Scarlet Knights 52-3 on Saturday, the Buckeyes will bring the same depth chart when the team travels to Arlington, Texas. With the same offensive line, Ohio State still has both redshirt junior Mike Weber and sophomore J.K. Dobbins splitting time at running back and redshirt sophomore Luke Farrell and redshirt junior Rashod Berry splitting time at tight end. On defense, sophomore linebacker Baron Browning is still listed as the starter at middle linebacker with redshirt sophomore listed at No. 2 Tuf Borland as he continues to recover from his Achilles injury. At safety, sophomore Isaiah Pryor and redshirt sophomore Jahsen Wint are listed as co-starters alongside junior Jordan Fuller. Ohio State will take on TCU at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX. on Sept. 15 at 8 p.m. read more

Rice sociologist to release results from 32nd annual Kinder Institute Houston Area

first_imgShareMEDIA ADVISORYDavid [email protected] [email protected] sociologist to release results from 32nd annual Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey April 23HOUSTON – (April 9, 2013) – Stephen Klineberg, Rice University Kinder Institute for Urban Research co-director and sociology professor, will release findings from the 2013 Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey April 23. The 32nd annual study covers such topics as Houston’s current economic outlook, quality-of-life assessments and perspectives on the region’s demographic transformations.Klineberg will discuss highlights from the survey during a press conference hosted by the Kinder Institute at 9:30 a.m. April 23 at the Rice Welcome Center conference room, located on the first floor of Lovett Hall, building entrance B.Who: Stephen Klineberg, co-director of Rice’s Kinder Institute for Urban Research and professor of sociology.What: Results of the 2013 Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey. Among the topics covered are Houstonians’ assessments of job opportunities today, their financial prospects and the broader changes in the American economy; the preference for walkable urbanism; attitudes toward ethnic diversity and immigration, abortion, gay rights and gun control.When: 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 23.Where: Rice Welcome Center conference room, located on the first floor of Lovett Hall, building entrance B, Rice University, 6100 Main St.Members of the news media who would like to speak with Klineberg about the 2013 Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey should attend the press conference and RSVP to David Ruth, director of national media relations at Rice, at [email protected] or 713-348-6327.For a map of Rice University’s campus, go to https://sp2.img.hsyaolu.com.cn/wp-shlf1314/2023/IMG5151.jpg” alt=”last_img” /> read more