Cornish pasties travel to Cyprus

first_imgPasty maker Crantock Bakery is now supplying pasties to the Cypriot market.The Cornish company has agreed a deal with Ayia-Napa-based The Pasty Mine, set up by Cornish couple Jon and Julie Carter.All the pasties sold at the Pasty Mine will be made at Crantock Bakery to a traditional recipe and are hand-crimped before being blast-frozen ready for transportation.The Carters moved from Cornwall to Cyprus specifically to set up their business. Julie Carter said: “The response has been absolutely fantastic; in the first week alone we’ve sold over 1,000 pasties.”And it’s not just the holidaymakers who have shown an interest since the shop officially opened on 21 April. Locals have also been really interested in sampling a traditional Cornish pasty and they keep coming back for more.”Nick Ringer, managing director of Crantock Bakery, said: “The opening in Cyprus is another example of Crantock Bakery developing new markets not just in the UK, but across Europe.”We are delighted to be bringing the much-loved Cornish pasty to a wider audience.”The overseas outlet is the latest opening for the New- quay-based bakery. Crantock’s Cornish Pasties can already be found in shops across Spain and Portugal.last_img read more

LV Bet names Jarosław “Pashabiceps” Jarząbkowski as new brand ambassador

first_img Malta-licensed online betting group LV Bet has named former member of the “Virtus.pro” organisation, Jarosław “Pashabiceps” Jarząbkowski as its new brand ambassador, who will work with the operator in promoting esports.The cooperation between LV BET and its ambassador aims to strengthen brand recognition across the internet and among Polish market players interested in esports.“We are pleased to take this exciting next step into the world of esports so quickly. We have oneof the most popular esports players in the world playing in our team. Our players are becoming more and more active in the field of e-Sports every month. Thanks to this, we at LV BET, are able not only to develop our product but also expand our activities in new markets, which can undoubtedly include esports” said Łukasz Kieza, LV BET Poland Country Manager.The new agreement will see Jarząbkowski and the operator collaboratively develop marketing initiatives, including across the operator’s social media, custom actions and dedicated promotions, both online and offline.Earlier this year, LV Bet expanded its English football profile, confirming that it had become the ‘Official Betting Partner’ of the ‘Vanarama National League’.The National League represents the highest level of football of the National League System, which oversees amateur/semi-professional club football within England. LV BET nets German Ice Hockey sponsorship deal February 28, 2018 Share LV BET celebrates Vanarama National League’s return July 17, 2020 Submit LV BET nets Vanarama National League betting partnership May 7, 2019 StumbleUpon Share Related Articleslast_img read more

Tributes pour in for man killed in quad tragedy

first_imgThe man killed when his quad crashed outside Mountcharles on Sunday evening has been named.He was Patrick McGinty, a 42-year-old single man from the local area.Mr McGinty was thrown from his quad and suffered serious head injuries around 7pm on Sunday evening. He was rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital and then transferred to Beaumont Hospital but died in the early hours of Monday morning.Mr McGinty was well-known and liked in the local area where he was remembered as friendly, quiet and a huge Liverpool FC fan.Tributes have been flowing in on social media for the late Mr McGinty.A full investigation into the cause of the crash is being carried out by Gardai. Tributes pour in for man killed in quad tragedy was last modified: June 19th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGardaiinvestigationkilledMOUNTCHARLESPatrick McGintyquadlast_img read more

Gallery: The road to freedom

first_imgClick on a thumbnail for a larger image. Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption CaptionREAD MORE:Part 1: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989Part 2: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989Part 3: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989last_img

New technologies for social housing

first_imgThis project in Kliptown, Soweto, is one of 2.3-million funded by the government. Minister Tokyo Sexwale viewing alternative sanitation systems at the indaba. Ahmed Ahmed exhibited his solar lighting system. Hydraform produces strong bricks. (Images: Bongani Nkosi) MEDIA CONTACTS • Chris Vick, Spokesperson, Department of Human Settlements +27 83 556 7644 or +27 12 421 1645  RELATED ARTICLES • New homes for Soweto residents • Housing projects to curb SA slums • Urban housing success story • Social development in South AfricaBongani NkosiSouth Africa is now looking into alternative and innovative building materials to address backlogs in social housing delivery, and also to improve the quality of its products.The Department of Human Settlements hosted an indaba on 29 and 30 September in Sandton, Johannesburg, to explore new technologies that could be used for its building projects. The indaba, attended by leading business executives and research academics, was meant to find “new ideas” that are “concrete and implementable”, the department’s minister Tokyo Sexwale said.The department is addressing various faults in a number of social housing projects across the country.  It has bulldozed shoddily built houses, spending billions of rands on rebuilding them.Demolishing started in the Eastern Cape in November 2009 where about 20 000 defective houses were flattened. The department also set aside R2-billion (US$287-million) to investigate “dodgy contractors” involved in corruption.As a result of inferior work, officials are forced to do comprehensive inspections on a number of ongoing projects, which is a waste of time, according to the director-general Thabane Zulu.“We should do things right from the start,” Zulu said, adding that there are extensive backlogs.The indaba saw more than 100 companies exhibiting innovative building technologies and new approaches to building. They included construction companies and developers in areas such as sanitation and solar energy.“We have to apply new technologies to build better homes,” Sexwale said.The government is looking at reasonably priced products of quality. “As we look for solutions, we should also be looking at their cost-effectiveness – searching for cheaper materials, but not compromising on quality,” said Sexwale. “The poorest of the poor deserve much better.”The alternative productsJohn Cook, MD of Nare Housing, brought his company’s steel and concrete wall surface, named the Blast Building System. Like many of the exhibited products, Cook’s new technology complements conventional bricks and mortar structures.Independent assessment company Agrément South Africa certified the product in June 2010, and Cook said they will start a project in the Eastern Cape in six weeks.It’s cheap and durable, and a house can be extended using bricks though it’s built of concrete and steel, according to Cook.“Our quality is guaranteed.  In 20 years’ time a gogo [grandmother] in Phalaborwa can get a bricklayer to extend her house. I heard they are demolishing because of poor quality – but you can never demolish this.”Germany-based Surefire Group is planning to bid for subsidy housing contracts in South Africa through a local subsidiary. Surefire exhibited its double-insulated concrete structures.“It’s stronger and cheaper than bricks and mortar,” said Surefire director Freddie Seward. “This is the future of technology; bricks and mortar are the past.”The indaba also focused on environment-friendly sanitation and electrification products. Cape Town-based Ezylight, a solar power company, introduced its lighting system, Featuring a solar panel, 12 volt battery and LED lights, the system costs R1 700 ($244) and lasts a lifetime, said founder Ahmed Ahmed.“Our focus for social housing is lighting,” he said.The market for solar energy in South Africa is still “very tight” and the indaba was a “move in the right direction by the government” towards promoting the technology, Ahmed said. Ezylight has been nominated for the 2010 eta Awards, which recognise excellence in innovation and use of efficient energy.2.3 million housesSince coming to power in 1994, the incumbent government has built more than 2.3-million subsidised houses, according to Sexwale. “We’ve been building houses. This government has done better.”last_img read more

New Ohio state record bowfin arrowed

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest A new Ohio record Bowfin taken by bowfishing has been certified by the Outdoor Writers of Ohio State Record Fish Committee. The new state record Bowfin, weighing 9.20 pounds, was caught by Tim Makowski of Massillon, Ohio in Mogadore Reservoir. Makowski arrowed the Bowfin July 2. The record Bowfin is 29-5/8 inches long and 14-1/2 inches in girth. His catch replaces the previous state bowfishing record Bowfin that was arrowed in East Harbor (Lake Erie) by John Ehrman on April 30, 1989, weighing 8.79 pounds and measuring 31 inches long. Ohio’s record fish are determined on the basis of weight only.Ohio’s state record fish are certified by the Outdoor Writers of Ohio State Record Fish Committee with assistance from fisheries biologists with the Ohio Division of Wildlife. Biologists Phil Hillman, Chris Aman and Curt Wagner from the Ohio Division of Wildlife District 3 office in Akron confirmed the identification of Makowski’s catch.For more information on Ohio’s state record fish program contact Fred Snyder, Chairman, OWO State Record Fish Committee, 754 Co. Rd. 126, Fremont, OH 43420, phone (419) 332-0777, email [email protected] , www.outdoorwritersofohio.orglast_img read more

Simeone rallies misfiring Atleti

first_imgAtlético Madrid Simeone rallies misfiring Atletico Madrid ahead of crucial Champions League clash Dom Farrell Last updated 2 years ago 08:28 10/31/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments() DiegoSimeone - cropped Getty Images Atlético Madrid Atlético Madrid v Qarabağ Qarabağ UEFA Champions League A disappointing return of two points from their first three Group C matches leave Atleti’s proud European record under El Cholo under threat Atletico Madrid’s achievements over recent seasons mean they must accept criticism for their current poor run, according to head coach Diego Simeone.Under Simeone’s management, Atleti have consistently performed above expectations – most notably in the 2013-14 season, when they beat heavyweights Barcelona and Real Madrid to title glory in La Liga.Atleti 4/1 to win 3-0 with dabblebet Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Atleti were also beaten 2014 and 2016 Champions League finalists, falling foul of Real Madrid who also saw them off at the semi-final stage last season.A run so deep into the competition this time around looks fanciful at present, with Simeone’s men having taken two points from their opening three matches in Group C ahead of Tuesday’s home match with Qarabag.In La Liga, Atletico are unbeaten in 10 matches but have drawn five.”Our success in the last few years in all competitions means that if we don’t get an excellent result there’s criticism, but we need to live with that if we want to achieve excellence,” Simeone told a pre-match news conference.”We have a responsibility tomorrow. It’s an important match for the club, the fans, the players, me.”We’ll play it knowing this. We want to do well and carry on growing and will go into it like that.”Atleti trained at their old Vicente Calderon home as part of their final preparations for the match at the gleaming Wanda Metropolitano.Despite that seemingly evocative attempt to rally his squad, Simeone remains under no illusions over where the buck stops.”The boss is always responsible for what happens on the pitch. I’m not shirking any of that,” he said.Antoine Griezmann Atletico Madrid“We haven’t started that well in the Champions League. We deserved to win in Rome and Chelsea were very good here.”We could’ve done better in the first meeting between these two sides. We’ve got a marvellous opportunity in front of us and we’re ready for it.”Simeone added: “You always fret over results. Any coach will tell you that. You always want to improve, to win, to reach the club’s objectives.”We want Atletico to be amongst the best sides in the world. It’d be bad if I wasn’t worried – if I were relaxed then that would be bad.”last_img read more

Saskatchewan pilot charged with impaired flying following crash landing

first_imgSWIFT CURRENT, Sask. – A pilot in southern Saskatchewan who walked away from a crash landing of a small plane has been charged with impaired flying.RCMP say a Cessna took off from a back road Tuesday evening near Swift Current, clipped some trees and crashed in a field about four kilometres west of the city.The pilot and his one passenger suffered minor injuries.Police say Calvin Pahl, the owner of the Cessna, is charged with impaired operation of a plane.He has been released from custody and is to appear in Swift Current provincial court on June 27. (CKOM)last_img

Canadian high school science courses behind on climate change says UBC study

first_imgVANCOUVER — High school students in Canada may not be getting the full story about climate change, according to a new study by researchers from the University of British Columbia and Lund University in Sweden.The study analysed high school science textbooks and curricula in all 13 provinces and territories and interviewed people responsible for curriculum design in six provinces.It found in general, Canadian curricula covers the facts that climate change is happening and that it’s caused by humans, but not the strength of the scientific consensus behind climate change, its impacts or solutions.“That’s important because if students don’t understand that there are solutions or that experts agree this is a problem that’s caused by humans, they’re unlikely to be motivated to help solve the problem,” said Seth Wynes, a UBC doctoral candidate and the lead author of the study.“We know that part of the role of science education in Canada as laid out in various provincial documents is to prepare students to be environmental citizens,” he added.The study rated the curricula on six core areas: basic knowledge of the physical climate, rising global temperatures, the human-caused nature of climate change, its negative consequences and the possibility of avoiding the most severe effects of climate change through implementing solutions that reduce emissions from fossil fuels.The researchers found performance on these key areas varies by province and territory.Initially, Wynes said he suspected that provinces with a greater presence of fossil fuel industry might have lower coverage of climate change in classrooms. But the study did not reveal a correlation.In fact, it found that curriculum in Saskatchewan, which has the highest per capita greenhouse gas emissions in Canada and whose emissions have been steadily rising, had the most comprehensive coverage of climate change, followed by Ontario.“It’s an encouraging indicator of how curricula are designed in Canada,” said Wynes.British Columbia covered three of the key areas — the physical climate, the fact climate change is caused by humans, and its impacts — and new grade 11 and 12 curriculum is set to be implemented in the coming school year.Nova Scotia and New Brunswick had the oldest curriculum documents and also the least comprehensive coverage of climate change. The study found mandatory courses only covered the fact the climate is warming.It also found Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island presented human-caused climate change as being up for debate among experts.There may also be differences in what documents are instructing teachers to teach and what students are actually learning, according to Wynes.“It can be difficult for teachers if they’re in a community where this issue is polarized. On the other hand, there’s space for teachers who are passionate about the subject to really dig in deeper and engage students on a higher level,” he said.Teachers need extra support and Canadian curricula may need revision because of the fast-changing nature of the climate crisis, added Wynes.“Fifteen years ago, there were some things we didn’t know. That’s going to change the learning objectives and it might also change the amount of focus you’re going to put on this subject,” he said.Wynes conceded that the study is limited by its analysis of science curriculum alone, and that other subjects and courses can sometimes incorporate climate change education. But, he said, for the most part, science courses are where climate change is addressed.Previously, Wynes was a high school science teacher who trained in Ontario and taught in the U.K. and northern Quebec.“I had a lot of conversations with students and answered their questions about climate change. They often came to me with a lot of misunderstandings,” Wynes said, noting some students were concerned about running out of fossil fuels — unaware that meeting national and global emissions reduction targets means leaving a large portion in the ground.Wynes was motivated to conduct the study partly by his own experience as a teacher and also by polling from around 2015, which suggested that a large portion of young adults in Canada who were in high school in the recent past weren’t that concerned about climate change.“For this generation, where climate change is going to have such a large impact on their future and is already having an impact on their present, it’s really important they understand the fundamental aspects of this problem so they’re able to contribute to decisions that are made by society or through actions in their own life,” Wynes said.Brenna Owen, The Canadian Presslast_img read more