Release of Shakti Kumar Pun

first_img Organisation NepalAsia – Pacific Receive email alerts Security forces released Shakti Kumar Pun of the national daily Rajdhani on 12 January 2005.Although an official in Rukum district in western Nepal, Bambahadur Malla, asked him where he would be staying and ordered him not to leave town, the journalist returned to the Katmandu region and the head office of his newspaper.He told Reporters Without Borders that he still felt threatened both by the security forces and by Maoist rebels. He said that Malla had strongly advised him to give up journalism, but Pun said he was determined not to give way to the threats. “I will continue it despite all sorts of challenges”, he said. The rebels, who held him captive for three months between September and December 2004, refused to acknowledge his release.________________________________________________________07.01.2005Army challenged about the plight of journalist Shakti Kumar PunReporters Without Borders has called on the Nepalese Royal Army to come clean about the whereabouts of journalist Shakti Kumar Pun, of the national daily Rajdhani and to secure his release.Pun has been held since 13 December by police in Musikot in Rukum district in the west of the country and not in a military barracks in Pyuthan, as army spokesman Deepak Gurung has said.The worldwide press freedom organisation called on the army to explain reports given to the press and the management of his newspaper about Pun. The organisation is particularly concerned that the authorities have accused the journalist of collusion with Maoist rebels in what appears to be an act of revenge by a local official.Reporters Without Borders called on the army to get Pun released as quickly as possible. Five other journalists are currently being held in Nepal.Pun was kidnapped by a Maoist group on 13 September 2004 in Baphikot in Rukum district. Security forces “freed” him on 13 December. Military spokesman Deepak Gurung said recently that the journalist was being held in an army barracks in Pyuthan and that he would be released after investigation. He added that he could be brought back “at any time if necessary”.But Pun is in fact being held in the main police station in Musikot under an anti-terrorism law that allows suspects to be held for six months without trial. He is reportedly being held over accusations of collusion with the Maoists.The accusations were reportedly made by a local official, Chetprakash Upreti, in revenge for articles critical of him.Colleagues, who have managed to visit Pun, say police are treating him well and that he is in good health. RSF_en Help by sharing this information June 8, 2020 Find out more Nepalese journalists threatened, attacked and censored over Covid-19 coverage January 25, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Release of Shakti Kumar Pun to go further Newscenter_img NepalAsia – Pacific Follow the news on Nepal News News Under Chinese pressure, Nepal sanctions three journalists over Dalai Lama story May 29, 2019 Find out more News May 17, 2019 Find out more Nepal: RSF’s recommendations to amend controversial Media Council Billlast_img read more

Camperdown net exciting win over St Hugh’s in ISSA netball

first_imgCamperdown High School’s senior team continued its impressive form this season in the urban area Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) competition as they defeated last season’s beaten finalist, St Hugh’s High, 40-37 in a rescheduled top-of-the-table Group Two game at the Leila Robinson Court on Monday.With one set of matches to be played in the second round, Camperdown are now on 12 points from four games, while St Hugh’s, who were suffering their first defeat of the season, are now on nine points and look set to meet defending champions The Queen’s School in one semi-final.Monday’s encounter was crucial for both teams, which came into the game unbeaten after winning three games in a row as the winners were likely to avoid Queen’s in the next round.It was close going all the way, despite Camperdown leading from start to finish. The red and blue-clad team led 11-10, 21-19 after the first two quarters and extended the lead to 31-26 after the third quarter.Numerous turnoversWith Camperdown making numerous simple turnovers in the last quarter, they allowed their opponents back in the game with three minutes to go. St Hugh’s Kaden-Ann Dehaney was finding her shooting range as they reduced the deficit by one at 37-36, before Camperdown found extra.Winning coach Wayne Stewart was very happy.”Over the years we have reached the quarter-final stage, but have always been beaten by Queen’s; and winning now and avoiding Queen’s in the semi-final, we think we can go all the way this time around,” said Stewart.In other matches on Monday, Norman Manley defeated St Andrew Technical High School STATHS) 47-15 and Queen’s remained unbeaten in their group after stopping Tarrant High 39-33 to finish on top with 15 points.The final set of matches will be played on Friday at the same venue as St Catherine High will meet STATHS, Camperdown go up against Meadowbrook High and St Hugh’s meeting Gaynstead High.last_img read more