EAT clarifies injury to feelings claims

first_imgEmployers cannot be held liable for distress or injury to feelings in unfairdismissal cases, the EAT has ruled. This issue was thrown into doubt by the 2001 House of Lords ruling inJohnson v Unisys,when Lord Hoffman suggested tribunals might be able to makeawards for injury to feelings caused by the manner of a dismissal, if thisbreached the implied duty of mutual trust and confidence. Since then, it has been common for former employees alleging unfairdismissal to seek compensation for damage to feelings, and some employmenttribunals have obliged. But in Dunnachie v Kingston upon Hull City Council and other appeals, theEAT has made clear that Johnson did not change the law and claimants areentitled only to compensation for the financial loss suffered. This contrasts with discrimination claims, where employees can receivecompensation for injury to feelings. “This is good news, ensuring that negotiations over dismissals can, inthe absence of discrimination, be kept relatively simple,” said AdamTurner, employment partner at Lovells. Previous Article Next Article EAT clarifies injury to feelings claimsOn 1 Jun 2003 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos.last_img read more

World Cup: Fifa probe puts Ethiopia and Tunisia progress in doubt

first_imgEthiopia and Tunisia’s progress to the final round of African World Cup qualifying are in doubt as Fifa opened three probes into player eligibility.On Sunday, Ethiopia beat South Africa 2-1 in Addis Ababa to seemingly reach the African play-offs from.Tunisia believed they had gone through too but Fifa are considering an appeal from Equatorial Guinea, that would affect the points in Group B.Togo are also to be investigated with ramifications for Group IFifa rules state a guilty teams “will be sanctioned by forfeiting the match”.Ethiopia face accusations they fielded an ineligible player in the 2-1 win over Botswana on 8 June in Group A.If they are found guilty it would hand a lifeline back to 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa. Should Ethiopia forfeit that victory against Botswana then South Africa would only be two points behind going into the final group matches in September.Those game see South Africa host Botswana, while Ethiopia travel to face Central African Republic.The president of the Ethiopian Football Federation, Sehilu Gebremariam, is still confident his side can progress.“This is shocking news – but the point is that we are still leading the group, we believe that we shall still qualify for the next stage,” he told the BBC’s Newsday programme.“We are scrutinizing the situation and we will give information to Fifa and to the public.” He said they would be consulting the coaching staff to get their views on the situation before reacting further.Football’s world governing body is also investigating Togo and Equatorial Guinea for the same reason.Tunisia’s progress is on hold as Equatorial Guinea allegedly fielded an ineligible player in their 4-3 defeat of island nation Cape Verde in March.Fifa says they recently ruled on that matter and that the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations co-hosts have appealed the decision.The Carthage Eagles drew 1-1 in Equatorial Guinea on Sunday to seemingly book their place in the play-offs, but a technical victory for Cape Verde would change the complexion of Group B. Should island nation Cape Verde receive the points from a match they originally lost it would lift the islanders up to nine points – just two behind the North Africans.Tunisia host Cape Verde on the final day of the current qualifying stage.Group I could also change as Fifa also look into whether Togo used an ineligible player in their 2-0 win over Cameroon on 9 June.The Indomitable Lions, who are six-time World Cup qualifiers, now stand to gain the three points should the Togolese be found guilty.Such a scenario would move Cameroon, who currently trail Group I leaders Libya by two points, a point clear in the table. The West Africans host Libya in what is both sides’ final encounter in September.last_img read more

AFN Slams Six Months Ban on Gloria Asumnu

first_imgTeam Nigeria’s track and field sprinter, Gloria Asumnu, has been suspended from all International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) organised competitions for six months.A statement signed by the AFN’s Head of Communication and Media, Olukayode Thomas, said the board was left with no option than to suspend Asumnu because of her unruly behaviour during and after the last 14th IAAF World Championship in Athletics in Moscow, Russia .“It is unfortunate that even after she was cautioned by the disciplinary committee set up during the championship to investigate the initial allegations leveled against her, Asumnu appeared to have been unperturbed.“She further refused to participate in the 4x100m and even went ahead to make further uncomplimentary remarks on the social media. This contravenes the code of conduct and ethics of the federation and is totally unacceptable,” said Thomas.Consequently, the board decided that Asumnu be suspended from all AFN and IAAF organised activities for a period of six months effective from August 2013.Thomas said; “Asumnu is also required to formally tender appropriate apology to AFN for her unruly conduct before the expiration of this suspension.”The AFN board spokesman urged other athletes to learn from Asumnu’s mistake and be good ambassadors of the federation and Nigeria at all times as the board will not hesitate to sanction any unruly athletes.last_img read more

Bookies seek winning formula ‘to survive’ coronavirus slump

first_img“The alternatives can’t make up for the loss of the casual customers who have a weekly football accumulator, a couple of bets on Saturday afternoon’s televised racing or a punt on the weekend’s big fight.”McCarron says the example of GVC Holdings — which owns bookmakers Corals and Ladbrokes — reflects the stark reality of life for the gambling industry at the moment.“GVC Holdings estimates that the crisis will cost it £50million a month, and that’s taking into account what it described as a programme of ‘mitigating actions’,” he said.“Even for a financially robust business — one that also has revenue streams from online casino and poker — that kind of hit is difficult to sustain for a prolonged period.”For the retail outlets a lot will depend on what is offered after the pandemic is over.“Their future depends not only on the return of sport, but also on what kind of economic stimulus will be available post-outbreak,” he said.Bookmakers are not high on the list of professions the public would sympathise with over their suffering but McCarron thinks they deserve some.“It is slightly unfair,” he said of the lack of sympathy.“In the UK alone, the gambling industry employs more than 100,000 people, has 10,000 premises and contributes £2.9 billion a year to the taxman just in gambling duties.“Just this month the bookmakers got together over the Virtual Grand National and raised £2.6 million for NHS charities at a time when their businesses were really suffering.“Betting is a form of entertainment enjoyed by millions of people.“The industry has its problems, but it also has plenty of positive aspects as well.” Andrew McCarron, organiser of the bookmakers ’emergency summit’ Handout Sports Betting CommunityLondon, United Kingdom | AFP |  Bookmakers at an “emergency summit” this month will be trying to find a way to “survive the slump” triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.Racing and football, bookmakers’ two key sources of revenue, have come to a standstill across Europe since mid-March with betting shops also closing due to British Government social distancing rules.Any industry that had to suddenly withdraw its main product from the market would suffer a huge hit, Andrew McCarron, managing director of Sports Betting Community (SBC) told AFP.The SBC Digital Summit that runs from April 27 to May 1, will feature 140 speakers including more than 20 CEOs of major bookmakers from across Europe, the United States and Latin America.“It is probably fair to describe this as an ’emergency summit’, as the central theme across all five days is how to survive the slump and bounce back once conditions allow normal business to resume,” McCarron said.“CEOs from many leading operators around the world are taking part so we’ll definitely see a lot of good ideas shared.“Given the unique circumstances, I think there’ll also be discussions about how companies can work together for the long-term good of the wider industry and its customers.”The 43-year-old Englishman says the heart has been ripped out of the UK sporting calendar showpiece events — The Grand National, Wimbledon and The British Open all cancelled — taking with it a huge source of revenue for bookmakers.“Any business that is suddenly forced to remove its main product from sale is going to have a major problem, and that is the situation bookmakers find themselves in,” he said.“UK punters stake around £250 million ($312 million) on the Grand National alone, and that kind of income is impossible to replace.”McCarron said online firms were trying to cut their cloth accordingly and offer different things to bet on.“Online sportsbooks have been proactive in trying to replace the traditional sporting calendar with things like virtual sports, esports betting and, the surprise hit, markets on table tennis tournaments,” he said.– ‘Really suffering’ –However, he says that punters largely are creatures of habit so whilst the online bookmakers can be credited with being innovative the rewards go nowhere near replacing the losses in income.“While virtuals and esports betting are growing in popularity, fewer people are prepared to bet on events they have little knowledge of and no emotional attachment to,” he said. Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Trump Promises Stone No Prison Time: “He Can Sleep Well at Night!”

first_imgPresident Trump on Thursday promised that his longtime informal political adviser, Roger Stone, will not serve prison time.The commander-in-chief said the convicted Republican provocateur “can sleep well at night” while revisiting criticisms of former special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe.The pledge from the president came on Twitter, after Charlie Kirk, the founder of the conservative group Turning Point USA, wrote Tuesday that Stone “will serve more time in prison than 99% of these rioters destroying America,” in reference to the ongoing protests over the killing of George Floyd.“This isn’t justice,” Kirk added. “RT for a full pardon of Roger Stone!”Never forget:Roger Stone will serve more time in prison than 99% of these rioters destroying AmericaAll because he supports Donald Trump.This isn’t justice.RT for a full pardon of Roger Stone!— Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) June 2, 2020 Trump shared the tweet and added, “No. Roger was a victim of a corrupt and illegal Witch Hunt, one which will go down as the greatest political crime in history. He can sleep well at night!”The president’s social media post represents just his latest involvement in Stone’s case. It also comes after congressional Democrats and Justice Department officials called out the president and Attorney General William Barr for involving themselves in the matter.No. Roger was a victim of a corrupt and illegal Witch Hunt, one which will go down as the greatest political crime in history. He can sleep well at night! https://t.co/HHg24tcZrx— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2020 Federal prosecutors requested last February that Stone be sent to prison for seven to nine years for interfering with congressional and FBI investigations into alleged connections between the Russian government and Trump’s 2016 campaign.After the president blasted the prosecutors’ sentencing recommendation in a tweet as a “horrible and very unfair situation,” the Justice Department then submitted a revised filing that did not specify a prosecution term, and said the initial proposal “could be considered excessive and unwarranted.”This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice! https://t.co/rHPfYX6Vbv— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 11, 2020center_img Soon thereafter, the four attorneys who led Stone’s prosecution resigned or notified the court that they were stepping off the case.Last month, nearly 2,000 former Justice Department officials signed a letter urging Barr to resign over his actions in the federal cases of both Stone and Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser who was also tangled up in Mueller’s probe.The Justice Department has already started to move to stop the case against Flynn. However, it is unclear how Barr will respond to the president’s tweet from Thursday.During a February interview, Barr described the Stone case as a “righteous prosecution” and said, “I was happy that he was convicted.”Other convicted associates of the president who were targets of the investigation into Russian interference, including former Trump attorney Michael Cohen and former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, were recently released from prison into home confinement, due to concerns about the coronavirus.President Trump hinted earlier in the year that the self-proclaimed “dirty trickster” of GOP politics would not have to serve his full prison term, saying his former aide “has a very good chance of exoneration.”Stone said in April that he is “praying for a pardon,” and had been told by the Bureau of Prisons to report to begin serving his 40-month sentence by June 30.His appeal is still pending.last_img read more