Ferguson admits to season regrets

first_imgSir Alex Ferguson has admitted this will be a season tinged with regret for Manchester United, even if they go on to win the Premier League. Sir Alex added: “The biggest disappointment was failing to get past Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup. Normally if we fall behind we can find another gear and get back on track, but on this occasion we didn’t manage it. “That goes down as a great regret in my book, especially with such a great prize there for the taking with a semi-final against Manchester City beckoning. “Some might think that going out of the Champions League would have been my biggest regret, but there was a reason, one that was out of our control and has to be put down to experience.” Even if City win on Monday, United would still need to lose another four games, which seems unlikely given they have only dropped points on five occasions in their first 30 matches, a top flight record. Anything other than a City win could see United wrap the whole thing up within 10 days, completing a task they set themselves as the Blues were about to lift the trophy themselves last May. “What you learn about this club is that you have to try and win every competition,” Nani told MUTV. “The Premier League is the most important competition and what happened last year made us very focused on this one. “We have done a very good job to be in this position. It is difficult to forget the size of our lead but we know every game is difficult in the Premier League because every team has something to fight for. That is why we are so concentrated on the games. We will only relax when we know it is not possible for anyone to come back at us.” With a 15-point advantage over Monday’s Old Trafford visitors Manchester City and only eight games of the campaign remaining, it seems only a matter of time before United are crowned champions for a record 20th time. However, Monday’s FA Cup defeat at Chelsea and the Champions League exit to Real Madrid has robbed United of a multi-silverware haul. “How do we analyse this season – is it one of regret or celebration?” he told United Review. “For me it is something of the proverbial curate’s egg, part bad but with some great redeeming features.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Scorpions struggling 83 for six

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica, (CMC) – Rain allowed only 36 overs on the opening day of the second round game between Jamaica Scorpions and Windward Islands Volcanoes at Sabina Park here yesterday.In the limited time possible, Scorpions stumbled to 83 for six, after they were asked to bat first in the Regional Four-Day clash.Opener John Campbell has so far top-scored with 30 off 72 balls with four fours while Antiguan Devon Thomas was unbeaten on 18.Off-spinner Shane Shillingford has taken three for 11 while left-arm seamer Delorn Johnson has so far picked up two for 30.Scorpions reached 32 for one at the first drink break but rain then ruled out any further play before lunch.When play finally resumed following a delay after the interval, Scorpions lost wickets steadily until another downpour at 3:20 pm, ended play for the day.last_img read more

Vick simply does not seem to get it

first_imgHey, Badger readers. I’m Aaron Brenner, and I am psyched to have the Thursday column this semester.I’m from Littleton, Colo., infamous for Columbine but famous for LenDale White. I’ll talk more about the latter later this year.Anyway, I pose this first question to you: after a sixth suspension from school, when you leave the principal’s office after being expelled, would you smack his secretary with a spitball on your way out?Well, would you back into the cop’s car after having your license revoked thanks to your seventh speeding ticket in a year?When having the best thing in your life taken away from you for screwing up one too many times, would you do something even dumber merely hours after the fact?No? Then I’m guessing you’re like me in that you also cannot begin to explain the mental wasteland that is Marcus Vick.Low on common sense and high on other things, the former Virginia Tech quarterback was recently removed from his college squad after piling up a rap sheet that makes Dennis Rodman look like an upstanding member of society.Seriously, prior to being yanked from the Hokies, the guy had been busted — and, bear in mind, this is in the last 21 months alone — for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, having sex with a 15-year-old girl, giving alcohol to underage girls, reckless driving, speeding, marijuana possession, flipping off opposing fans and intentionally stomping on a Louisville player in this year’s Gator Bowl.What, no reported DUI? Come on, Marcus, you gotta live a little.What’s more, this kid brother of NFL star quarterback Michael Vick had everything he could ever want. His team garnered much of the Rose Bowl talk in October, he was an outside Heisman shot (particularly for next year, assuming he stuck around), and he likely would have been claimed early on the first day of the NFL Draft, whether this April or the next.However, Vick the Not-So-Quick found a way to screw it all up.Marcus, during Virginia Tech’s 35-24 Gator Bowl victory over the Louisville Cardinals, was caught on tape trying to crush the left calf of defensive end Elvis Dumervil during the game. While Vick says it was an “accident” and “apologized,” the video clearly contradicts his claims — as does Dumervil’s denial of any such apology.As a result of this embarrassing episode, combined with Vick’s aforementioned actions, Hokie coach Frank Beamer had no choice but to release the star quarterback from his program.Sure enough, being a spoiled brat on top of it all, Vick declared his eligibility for this year’s pro draft swiftly, as if to say he didn’t need college ball to succeed at the next level.But here’s the thing. None of this stuff is really what the media has been talking about as of late.Had the story ended here, Vick likely would have been drafted anywhere from the middle of the second round to some of the later rounds. Given his questionable behavior, it’s hard to believe that Vick would have been a first-rounder; however, it is assumed that his talent would make some general manager take a chance on him at some point.But just two days after declaring his wish to enter the professional ranks, Vick very well may have shot down any chance of playing an NFL down.Vick was arrested for threatening three teenagers with a gun at a McDonald’s in Suffolk, Va., on Jan. 9, according to an Associated Press report. The report added that he faces a potential three years in prison and a $7,500 fine if convicted of all three misdemeanor charges.Just two days after making himself available to NFL teams!You know, you’d think the past experiences of jail time, numerous suspensions and fines, drug counseling and tests, a revoked driver’s license and many community service hours would eventually teach this prodigy that breaking the law might not be a good thing after all.Again, this isn’t some washed-up bum who’s got nothing else to live for. This August, if he cleaned himself up and landed a few lucky breaks on an NFL team along the way, he could potentially be taking snaps as a rookie in the greatest sports league in the world.Here’s the saddest part: what this latest offense should tell us is that he may be beyond help.Sure, Terrell Owens never shut up when he played for the Eagles. But since he was effectively booted from that team, we haven’t really heard from him.He’s not conducting any more media/sit-up sessions in his front yard, and he’s not demanding more money. He even let up and stopped crying for his release to another team.T.O., in a small manner, gets it. It seems Vick simply does not.Of course, it’s still possible he could end up on an NFL roster later this spring. He’ll likely go to work as a third-stringer just trying to work his way up to a starter’s position.That will never change. What has changed, though, is any opportunity for Vick to show he can be mature.He had his seventh chance, and he blew it the night of Jan. 9. It would sicken me to see a pro team grant him an eighth.Aaron is a freshman majoring in journalism. Aaron doesn’t know what we are yelling about. Loud noises. He can be reached at abrenner@badgerherald.com.last_img read more

Janitors rally for higher wages

first_imgUSC janitors took to Trousdale Parkway Wednesday in their second protest in less than a week.Dressed in purple t-shirts and carrying signs that proclaimed “Justice for Janitors,” the large group made a circuit around campus, passing McCarthy Quad, Katherine B. Loker Stadium and Tommy Trojan before ending near the Finger Fountain. They conducted a similar protest last Friday.The 200-250 janitors organized by the Service Employees International Union, United Service Workers West, are asking USC officials to support them in their bid for higher wages and better health care benefits from subcontractor Aramark. The previously protested on campus  in 2009 and in 2012.“We have been basically negotiating a contract for the workers where we’re trying to make sure we maintain the standard and elevate in areas where we think it’s the most important, so specifically in wages,” said Edmundo Garcia, contract enforcement specialist at SEIU USWW.The workers union contract expired at the end of June. Since, the janitors have been working without a contract, according to Luiz Fuentes, lead organizer with SIEU USWW.“[Negotiations haven’t] gone as smoothly as we would like for it to go,” Fuentes said.Though the janitors’ negotiations are strictly with Aramark, the group hopes that the University can assist them in negotiating a better contract.“As the entity getting the services from Aramark, [the University has] a big stake in this,” Garcia said.Flyers the group has been handing out include the numbers of both President C.L. Max Nikias and John Welsh, associate vice president of Facilities Management Services, and ask supporters to call the two.USC, however, said it is not involved in the negotiations.“We know the University is one of the most highly endowed universities,” Garcia said. “We feel like we want to make sure that our janitors are getting paid good wages so that they can continue to provide the benefits and decent living for their families.”Currently, the janitors earn from $9.75 up to $17 an hour, depending on how long they’ve held their job and their skill set, Garcia said.“These workers need to stay ahead of the minimum wage, especially on a campus that can afford it,” Luiz said. “They need to protect their healthcare, and we need to protect the conditions of the workers in this campus.”Previously, USC directly employed the janitors.“Many of them feel very tied to the USC community,” Garcia said. “They see themselves as USC workers.”Salvador Hernandez, one of the janitors protesting, said he’s been working at USC for 25 years.“We’re protesting because it’s one of our rights to raise issues and concerns and also voice our position,” Hernandez said through a translator. “We want the university president to know we want a good contract.”Nadine Apilado contributed to this report.last_img read more

Graphical breakdown of Syracuse football’s 54-0 loss to No. 3 Clemson

first_img Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 5, 2016 at 8:41 pm Contact Lucy: lmnaland@syr.educenter_img Syracuse (4-5, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) got demolished by No. 3 Clemson (9-0, 6-0), 54-0, on Saturday afternoon in Memorial Stadium in South Carolina.Here’s a graphical breakdown of the game.last_img

Thurles showjumper ready for Olympic action

first_imgThe first qualifying rounds get underway on Sunday next – the finals are set for Friday week.Speaking to Fran Curry on Tipp Today from Rio Greg said Going Global won’t be phased by the competition. Tipperary’s Greg Broderick is settling into the Olympic village in Rio ahead of the showjumping competition which gets underway on Sunday next.The Thurles man is our only representative as Ireland failed to qualify for the team event.Greg arrived in Brazil yesterday while his horse Going Global has been there since the weekend.last_img

Floyd Mayweather: “Having One Woman Is Too Close To Having None”

first_imgAfter amassing so much money from an illustrious boxing career, earning as much as £200 million from his supposed last fight against UFC fighter Conor McGregor last month, Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather certainly has a whole lot of money to spend on his lavish lifestyle, cars, private jets, expensive clothes, jewelry and of course, women.In a bizarre interview with YouTube channel Awkward Puppets, the retired boxer revealed he currently has about seven girlfriends.“How many women I have? Probably about seven deep. Lucky seven.” Mayweather said. “We go out to eat, some of us travel together. Having one is too close to having none.”The 40-year-old has been linked with various women over the years and has four children from two different women.He and ex-girlfriend Josie Harris have three children together: Sons Koraun (born January 29, 2000) and Zion (born March 28, 2001), and daughter Jirah (born June 25, 2004). He also has a daughter, Iyanna (born May 20, 2000), from a separate relationship with Melissia Brim.The ‘Money man’ is known for spending generously on his children. He bought Iyanna a $400,000 Rolls Royce and threw a big 16th birthday party for Zion, giving him a brand new Mercedes as a gift.In the interview, Mayweather insisted his fight against Conor McGregor was truly his last. “The last fight that I fought, that was the money fight. For real, because the next fight, they’re going to try and get me to fight an alien on another planet.” He said.Mayweather ended his career of fifty fights without a loss. Related[PHOTO] See Pictures Of Conor McGregor 100ft Yacht Party After Mayweather DefeatSeptember 10, 2017In “Lifestyle”VIDEO: Watch Jose Mourinho Give His Verdict On Mayweather Vs McGregor FightAugust 25, 2017In “Sports”Mayweather v McGregor: Fight Will End Early And “Won’t Go The Distance”, Says MayweatherAugust 11, 2017In “Sports”last_img read more

Concerns arise for 888 operations as UKGC reviews firms self-exclusion provisions

first_img StumbleUpon Share Related Articles UKGC hails ‘delivered efficiencies’ of its revamped licence maintenance service  August 20, 2020 Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Submit Share UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 FTSE-listed online gambling group 888 Holdings has informed the market and its investors that its UK operator licence is being reviewed by the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) relating to the firm’s compliance provisions with regards to preventing problem gambling.The UKGC is set to evaluate whether 888 operates an effective self-exclusion process for its customers across its platforms.  Self-exclusion is the player protection process that allows online betting/igaming consumers to ‘take a break’ or withdraw themselves from operator services.This morning 888 governance released the following corporate update informing stakeholders:“The Company has been informed that the United Kingdom’s Gambling Commission (the UKGC) is currently conducting a review of the manner in which a subsidiary of the Company (the “Licensee”) has carried on its licensed activities to ensure compliance with the UKGC operating licence held by the Licensee. The review has been initiated to assess certain measures that the Licensee employs to ensure social responsibility to its customers including, amongst other items, effective self-exclusion tools across different operating platforms.”The self-exclusion policy is a key provision of operating UK online gambling services. If found in breach of compliance with UKGC self-exclusion rules and policy, an operator could lose its UK online gambling operating licence.UK business news sources have this morning reported that 888 Holdings share price has declined 10% on the notification of its impending review.888 governance stated that it would cooperate with the UK governing body: “The Company is dedicated to providing players with a responsible as well as enjoyable gaming experience and the Licensee will be proactively engaged in a cooperative and collaborative manner with the UKGC throughout this review.”last_img read more

OPTIMA continues to build on prosperous year

first_imgShare StumbleUpon Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020 Related Articles Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 Share Andrea Vota – Jdigital’s challenge of Spanish restrictions is led by logic and rationale August 13, 2020 Submit Jacob Lopez, OptimaSeville based supplier of platforms, OPTIMA has built on what has so far been a potentially record breaking year, by recording another successful month. At the EXPOJOC in Valencia earlier in the month, the company introduced a new range of platforms that have undoubtedly aided the growth that OPTIMA has  enjoyed. The new product range follow on from OPTIMA’s plans to increase its market share in its country of formation, Spain.Furthermore, OPTIMA has reported that its efforts to convert its UK retail customer base from a shop server based system to a new server-less solution is proceeding at a good pace.Optima CEO, Jacob Lopez Curciel said: “The server-less solution brings many advantages to the operator. Prominent amongst these are the cost savings by not having to replace a shop server every 2 to 3 years, and the complete elimination of any delays caused by the ‘data’ bottlenecks that can arise when the HQ system is trying to connect to the shop at busy periods.“Further advantages accrue to the operator through the centralization of the HQ and therefore the ease with which support and upgrades can be supplied.“This is the type of system that has lead to OPTIMA becoming the system of choice for many markets including Nigeria where a 1000 shop estate has just been rolled out for market leader NairaBet.“Trials on OPTIMA’s revolutionary I-Shop solution are continuing in the UK . This way of allowing customers to use their own mobile device to access the same prices as are in the till whist in the shop not only creates a novel way of betting but also does not require the operator to enter into any financially punitive arrangements with a third party.”_______________________OPTIMA will be at Betting on Sports and looks forward to meeting with anybody who is interested in talking about any part of the product suite. Betting on Sport is at London’s famous Olympia on 12th-15th September. To get tickets click here.last_img read more

Black Spikers beat Burkina Faso

first_imgThe national women’s volleyball team, the Black Spikers, started the first phase of the 2014 World Cup with brilliant tactical skills to beat host country, Burkina Faso by three straight sets in their first match Wednesday.The president of the Ghana Volleyball Association, Mr Paul Atchoe, said the national volleyball team would be granted participation in the sub-zone stage if they are able to beat Cote d’Ivoire in the next match.According to him, the performance of the women’s team against Burkina Faso was very promising anad there is no doubt that the trophy would be bestowed on the national volleyball team at the end of the World Cup competition.The national volleyball team left Accra last Monday to participate in the first phase of the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.last_img