JC’s ‘Dolphy’: Blue through and true

first_img His son did, however, attend the institution in 2002. “I hope that my grandson, in the next two years, will be able to come to Jamaica College as well,” he noted. “JC become a part of my life for the almost 44 years that I am here, I believe there is blue blood in my veins.” He said he was backed by influential JC Old Boys board members, who told him to continue at the school, joking that if he left, he would die of boredom. Meanwhile, as equipment manger and football fan, Gordon believes JC can dominate the Manning Cup for years to come adding that the support of the past students will continue to bring success. “Everywhere the team goes, I travel with them. The team makes me know most of Jamaica, which I know right now. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be travelling all over the country, and they take me places that I didn’t know,” noted Gordon, who admitted that he was not an avid football fan before he arrived at JC. He has lifted seven Manning Cup titles with the ‘Dark Blues’ but is also quick to remind everyone about the trophy-less 33-year spell that he team suffered. “It makes me feel good knowing that long period of 30-odd years we have been disappointed, and now we find it. We want to dominate for the next 30 years, if that is possible,” Gordon laughed. JC won a fourth straight Manning Cup title last season and also capped the year with the Olivier Shield crown. BLUE BLOOD A regular fixture around the Jamaica College (JC) football team, Othniel ‘Dolphy’ Gordon carries a presence that will never go unnoticed at the Old Hope Road institution. An employee of the school for over 43 years, Gordon, who served as JC’s groundsman for decades before retiring into his new role as equipment manager for the football team, has embraced this new lease on life. “I am 63 and I am the equipment manager for the team, and that is what keeps me going. I’ve been working for 43 years, but I think I can go on,” he said. “My retirement starts in March, but with the encouragement I have been getting from the Old Boys, they tell me to just continue. I think I will go on, and I might be able to do another five years,” Gordon added. Gordon’s love was not born out of any experiences at the school as a student; he was never enrolled there, but his commitment over the years and his passion for the school’s football team, has been on frequent on display at JC games over the years. “I did not attend the school. I just came as an ancillary staff member. Sometimes I feel so happy that I don’t know what I would do without this school,” he told The Gleaner.last_img read more

A Short Story about Corruption

first_imgBy Elizabeth Enoanyi Hoff  Uncle Joe Blow was a jovial man; always in a good mood. He was employed as Comptroller at the Oil Company.  All the Company’s employees liked him because of the way he handled things in his office. Once in a while, he would give out “small, small things” from the petty cash box to other Company workers whom he considered his “good friends.” When paying out money to the Company’s consultants and other contractors he would always say, “the cash box has no right to sneeze, even though it holds all the ingredients for sneezing”,  meaning that he was only the keeper of the money and did not expect to receive kickbacks. He often said, “mind you, down here, we often get blamed for things we will never dream of doing.”Sometime towards the end of August, Uncle Joe Blow decided to go on his annual leave; planning to go to his hometown in Clay-Ashland to rest himself. He was determined to enjoy his vacation. And so, right on schedule, Uncle Joe left Monrovia for upriver.  Right after his departure, the deputy comptroller took over and began to discover some strange things in the Company’s financial records.Mr. Joe Blow, the Comptroller, had set up a crafty system for payments involving several accounts in different departments. Dates of disbursements were left out in some instances. All put together, the book balance reflected a “hefty” shortage of cash within six months.On dealings with other organizations, the deputy comptroller came against calculations that discouraged him. Uncle Joe’s arithmetic represented some wrong doings.  The deputy comptroller recommended to the Company’s management that the auditors should be called in.  So, in came the auditors. Their findings were far more shocking than what the deputy comptroller had discovered.Martu, the secretary in the Finance department, was present when the auditors came. She witnessed the seriousness of purpose with which they settled down — shifting the deputy comptroller and his chair and table into a corner, joining tables together for their convenience, and occasionally calling in a few employees for “chats”.The auditors discovered that postings were back-dated. Bank statements were misquoted around the decimal points. They noted that the numbers of some cheques issued were out of sequence.  After of these findings, Management decided to keep things quiet until Joe Blow, the comptroller returned from his leave; but that was not to be.As the situation would have it, Martu the Secretary went to her friend’s office a few days afterwards to visit. “What news?” the friend asked.“Nothing much, o” Martu answered despondently. “The only thing is the general auditing going on at our office….It’s not easy, you girl…They have interviewed the staff… They are tracing everyone who could have access to the accounts section…I say, you girl, Joe Blow, our comptroller, is out… he is on leave.”The friend’s boyfriend knew Uncle Joe Blow very well. She also shared the news with her boyfriend:  “They say twenty-two thousand liberty and thirty-five thousand US are involved. The Comptroller is on leave. Martu told me today at my office.”And so, Joe Blow the comptroller never returned from leave, and the Company never went after him.  End of story. Sounds familiar?Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Elks come through at Provincials

first_imgThe Fort St. John Elks made the most of home ice, as they hosted the provincial long-track speed skating championships over the weekend.Fort St. John skaters took home a bounty of medals, and posted a flurry of personal-bests.Below is a list of notable finishes by Fort St. John skaters competing at the provincial level.  For a complete list of skaters and winners at all levels, see the attachments below.- Advertisement -Jr. Women:Desiree Mitchell – 3rdMasters Women:Advertisement Jordan Luck – 1stMasters Men:Rick Lee – 3rdMid Male:Ben Maxfield – 2ndAdvertisement Sandra Sulmya – 1stJunior Men:Mitch Kupchanko – 3rdSenior Men:Advertisementcenter_img Juvenile Female:Jamie Lee – 2ndJunior Male:Kayne Dressler – 3rdlast_img

Replica of Israeli wall meant to show Palestinian view

first_imgMichael Reibel, adviser to the Cal Poly Pomona Hillel, has not seen the display but said he personally believes that the Palestinian people have suffered and that the media coverage favors Israel. The wooden wall display includes photos of injured Palestinian children, bulldozed homes owned by Palestinians and international volunteers, including Rachel Corrie, a 23-year-old who died in 2003 after being crushed by a bulldozer. caroline.an@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2108 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! • Video: 05/22: Palestine Wall POMONA – Muslim students placed a traveling wall representing opposition to the Israeli security barrier separating Israelis from Palestinians in the campus center quad of Cal Poly Pomona this week. The gray-painted wooden wall – 10 feet high and 60 feet long – was first erected at UC Irvine last week and will remain on display at Cal Poly until Friday, said Amir Mertaban, president of the Student Coalition for a Just Peace. It is meant to give students a Palestinian version of the conflict, Mertaban said. The barrier was constructed by Israel and divides Israel and Palestinian land. Israelis say the barrier protects againsy terror attacks. The Cal Poly wall was built by students in the Muslim student organizations at UC Irvine and Cal Poly Pomona. “The idea is to balance \ already tilted scale with something like this,” Mertaban said. “We’re trying to bring out the truth.” The display comes in the midst of renewed violence in the Middle East. Hamas leaders were warned by Israel’s deputy defense minister Tuesday after a 31-year-old Israeli woman died Monday from a rocket attack. The latest round of rhetoric between Israeli and Palestinian leaders comes after Israel resumed airstrikes on targets in Gaza last week, in response to a rocket attack. last_img read more

Delays spur airlines to update tracking technology

first_imgFORT WORTH, Texas – At any given moment, the airline industry’s powerful networks of computers are setting fares, tracking reservations and calculating how much fuel each plane needs to reach its destination. So when a storm shut down Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport last Dec. 29, forcing American Airlines to divert 130 planes to other airports in the region, what high-tech system kicked into gear at the world’s largest airline? “A legal pad,” said Don Dillman, managing director of American’s operations center here, where dispatchers direct flights around the world. Lacking any high-tech system for keeping track of all those diverted planes, Dillman and his colleagues furiously scribbled down details of where they had gone, how long they had sat there, and whether pilots had enough time left on their daily work limits to keep flying when the weather cleared. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Ultimately, 44 of the planes sat out on tarmacs for more than four hours. That episode and others – including JetBlue Airways’ stranding of 21 planes for more than four hours in New York in February – exposed industry weaknesses, and set off consumer protests and calls for tougher airline regulations. It also sent many airlines into a computer-programming frenzy to reduce embarrassing service lapses. And now, after upgrading their software, airlines claim they can make good on promises not to strand passengers. Those vows will be tested as the holiday travel season begins and winter storms descend on airports across the United States. The technology improvements at American are, in one sense, encouraging. Pen and paper have been replaced by computer programs that display flight information in ways that are supposed to help prevent long waits on tarmacs and other service disruptions that most infuriate passengers. Top managers also now automatically receive text messages when things begin to go awry. Similar improvements have been made at JetBlue and at United Airlines. Other big carriers either have similar software or are in the process of acquiring it, they said. But, in another sense, the improvements are troubling because they reveal the industry’s relatively primitive approach to dealing with service disruptions. “What took so long?” said Mark Mogel, a retired software engineer who was stranded for five hours on an American flight in 2001, and then recently joined with others who had been stranded to lobby Congress for a limit on tarmac waits. The kinds of programs American and others are installing are neither terribly expensive nor “a great leap” in technology, and thus could have been in place years earlier, Mogel said. Not stranding passengers “is just a matter of will,” he added. Airlines also promised not to strand passengers on tarmacs after a Northwest Airlines flight sat for hours in Detroit in 1999, but then the industry backslid. Monte E. Ford, American’s chief information officer, acknowledged that programs to help the airline recover quickly from storms and other disruptions were developed too slowly. “Why didn’t it happen before?” Ford said. “There wasn’t as much a sense of urgency. There wasn’t as much concern about delays.” American and other airlines built state-of-the-art computer systems prior to 1990. But investments did not keep up after that, he said. By the time he arrived in 2001, “the back-end systems were antiquated, the network was small,” Ford added. And as American was preparing to make big investments in computers, the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, occurred and sent the airline industry into a deep decline. Spending on technology was reduced. “That changed our investment profile from innovation to survival,” Ford said. So when a storm descended over the Dallas-Fort Worth airport last Dec. 29, dispatchers at American’s operations center did what they had been doing for years: They ordered planes to circle in hopes the storm would pass, and then sent them on to other airports when it didn’t. But with no single computer program keeping track of the diversions, and dispatchers too busy to compare notes, smaller airports were soon overwhelmed. “We had 16 or 18,” said Bonnie Sutton, American’s general manager in Little Rock, Ark., where the airline has just two gates and typically handles only smaller regional jets. The storm camped over Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. Austin, Texas, took 11 diverted American flights. Workers there opted to keep using their four gates for on-schedule flights headed to airports that were not closed down. “We had an attitude that was pretty much a brick wall,” said Dillman, the operations chief. “You don’t want the diverted flights to pull your normal flights down.” So, the 11 planes sat in Austin, away from the terminal, four of them for more than six hours – one for 9 hours and 16 minutes. Dillman tried to keep his legal-pad list up to date as Dec.29 wore on. “The list just keeps getting longer and longer,” he said. “The way you find out something is you pick up the phone and someone starts yelling at you: `What the heck are you doing letting five planes divert to Abilene – and they all arrive within 20 minutes?”‘ In the wake of Dec. 29, American promised not to leave passengers on grounded planes for more than four hours and began searching for ways to keep its word. At an internal postmortem with top executives after the episode, one of Ford’s technology lieutenants mentioned software under development at American that could track diversions and display them on a single screen. When could he have it? Ford asked. The program, in the works for two years, was rushed into the operations center in two weeks. The work of Tim Niznik, a senior manager who has a doctorate in operations research, is called diversion tracking and uses color codes to warn dispatchers that an airport is receiving too many diverted flights. Little Rock’s limit now, for instance, is six. Austin’s is eight. Other color codes warn when planes have sat too long on the ground. Crew time limits, whether the lavatories have been serviced on the ground, whether the plane has been to a gate – they are all tracked and automatically updated. A companion program, called taxi monitor, shows all the planes that have pulled away from the gate but have not yet taken off, listing the time they have sat. American had occasion to use the new software almost immediately. On Feb. 24, 101 flights were diverted as severe wind gusts closed Dallas-Fort Worth for more than five hours. This time, the diverted flights were divvied up more evenly among surrounding airports. None took more than nine planes. Only one plane sat for more than four hours, the Transportation Department’s inspector general said. Through the summer, Niznik worked with dispatchers to train them and add new features to the diversion software. On Sept. 10, a storm moved over Dallas-Fort Worth early in the morning. By 7:30, four flights had been diverted; by 8:15, 15 flights had been sent to five surrounding airports; by 9:15, 56 flights had diverted and the software was showing that five airports had all reached their limit. There were long waits, to be sure. By noon, planes at five airports had been on the ground for more than three hours. But passengers had been taken to the gate and let off, Niznik said, looking at the program’s account of the day. What if all this stuff – the new software and training, the new procedures and corporate commitment to getting passengers off stranded planes – had been around last Dec. 29? On a scale of 1 to 100, how much of that day’s misery might American’s passengers have been spared? Charlie Mead, a manager in dispatch, pondered that question. American could reduce the suffering “maybe 20 to 25″ percent,” he said. “It’s not like we want to trap people in these airplanes.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Writer’s fans seek poetic license for his L.A. digs

first_imgBrutally frank and often obscene, Bukowski was a heavy drinker who wrote poems that rely on the musicality of colloquial speech, instead of rhyming meter. Born in Germany in 1920 and raised in Los Angeles, Bukowski won many readers in Europe before breaking through in the United States. But after he did break through with the 1971 novel “Post Office” – which he wrote at De Longpre – Bukowski’s public image was burnished as something more than the “dirty old man” he claimed to be. Movies were made about his life. He hung out with such luminaries as actor Sean Penn and moved to a nice house in San Pedro. Voice for down, out After he died in 1994, his papers were placed in a collection at the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, where he had often dropped off his wife before going to Santa Anita to bet on the horses. Admirers describe Bukowski as the quintessential Los Angeles writer, and as a voice for the down and out. But the owners of the De Longpre fourplex apartment complex have a different view of the writer. And they say there’s no reason to designate the home he lived in from 1963 to 1972 as historic. One of their accusations has caught Bukowski readers off guard. “He was an anti-Semite, and he was pro-Nazi, and (Bukowski fans) have to read about it, and they have to know about it,” said Victoria Gureyeva, one of the property’s two owners. Gureyeva, a Jewish refugee from the Ukraine, said she bought the apartment complex five years ago not knowing that Bukowski had lived there. “At that time, if they loved him so much or so deeply, why no one during those five years said nothing, didn’t say a word about Charles Bukowski?” she asked. To support her accusation that Bukowski had fascist leanings, Gureyeva points to the writings of Ben Pleasants. A Bukowski acquaintance, Pleasants has written that Bukowski made anti-Semitic comments and expressed admiration for Nazism, especially as a young man. But Bukowski biographer Neeli Cherkovski, author of “Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski,” said that was not the Bukowski he knew. As a Jewish teen impressed by some of Bukowski’s early writing, Cherkovski sought out a 40-year-old Bukowski in 1960, and the two started a friendship that spanned decades. “I challenge anybody to find any hint of anti-Semitism or pro-Nazism in any of his books,” Cherkovski said. Cherkovski also disputes what he calls another misconception about Bukowski – the title “Poet Laureate of Skid Row” that some give him. Hollywood years Bukowski lived for years in Hollywood, not on Skid Row, and he moved to a house in San Pedro with a pool and a couple of nice cars, Cherkovski said. The apartment on De Longpre, where Cherkovski spent a lot of time, was the lived-in, “mildewed” Hollywood – not the Hollywood of glitz and glamour that Bukowski loathed, Cherkovski said. There was a banana plant out front, and inside was a cluttered living room with an Underwood typewriter on a table near the window, he said. These days, the apartment complex is vacant, the residents all gone. The nearest neighbors are a homeless couple – George Padilla and Linda Vellutini – who live in an RV on the street out front. Every day for the past couple of weeks, at least one visitor interested in Bukowski – usually male and often of college age – has approached the chain-link fence surrounding the property. “They look around first and make sure that they’ve got the right spot,” said Vellutini, 56. “And so I talk to them and let them know that they do.” Lauren Everett, 26, a Silver Lake resident who works as a temp and started reading Bukowski in high school, is more than just a passing fan of Bukowski. She wrote the application seeking historical designation for the property after seeing the Craigslist ad. A city report before the Cultural Heritage Commission notes that when he lived at De Longpre, Bukowski wrote “Post Office,” his newspaper column “Notes of a Dirty Old Man” and other works, and he used the apartment as a setting for his novel “Women.” From outside, the apartment looks a lot like it did when Bukowski lived there, Everett said. “It’s not the most glamorous place. It’s pretty bare-bones,” she said. “But it doesn’t look any worse, certainly.” City Council President Eric Garcetti, who represents the area, supports the application to designate the property as historic, spokeswoman Julie Wong said. The application also has received the support of the city’s Office of Historic Resources and the Los Angeles Conservancy. “The nomination really makes a strong case that this particular residence was pivotal in the writer’s career,” said Mike Buhler, director of advocacy for the conservancy. Cherkovski, who remembers Bukowski as a wryly funny man who play-acted the wild-man part, noted that Bukowski’s real “temple” was the Santa Anita Race Track. The biographer said he wonders what Bukowski would think about a proposal to put a literary center at the old apartment. Cherkovski said, “A signpost would be fine.” alex.dobuzinskis@dailynews.com 818-546-3304160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Everyone agrees there’s nothing about the architecture that makes poet Charles Bukowski’s former Hollywood apartment stand out. At 5124 De Longpre Ave., it’s just a small, stucco structure. On a recent day, a lone shoe sat on the trash-strewn, cracked pavement fronting the low-slung home. A small chimney streaked with grime stands beside a tree, and everything is fenced off and boarded up. But it was here – before his glory days – that Bukowski lived for most of the 1960s, trudging off daily to his post office job and coming home every evening to get drunk and write. “This is where he stopped thinking of himself as a working-class stiff in a post office and realized he was a world-class poet,” said Richard Schave, 38, who leads a bus tour of Bukowski haunts and is pushing to have the home classified as a historic structure. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAnd if Bukowski’s fans succeed in their bid for historical designation, it will be one of the rare times the city has placed that status on a building solely because of who lived there, not for its architectural significance. In July, the owner of the apartment complex at 5124-51263/4 De Longpre in Hollywood posted a for-sale ad on Craigslist.com, suggesting a buyer could pay $1.3million for the property, tear down the buildings and build new. But the ad prompted a flurry of activity among Bukowski fans, who organized to try to save the property. While the building’s owners are vowing to fight the designation because of the restrictions it would carry, officials with the city and the Los Angeles Conservancy support the application from Bukowski’s fans. The Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission is scheduled to consider the application for historic designation today. If the commission approves it, it will go to the City Council for a final vote. last_img read more

Woman saved from blaze

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals “The officers did an outstanding job,” said Burbank police Sgt. Jay Jette. “They worked as a team to do what needed to be done. They went above and beyond.” Burbank Fire Department Capt. Bob Reinhardt echoed the sentiments. “They acted in a very heroic manner,” he said. “We’re very proud of them.” Hawver deflected the praise, saying, “It really is part of the job. That’s what we’re here for.” Fire officials said the blaze started in the trash basket, where Fox’s live-in caretaker had thrown out her cigarette before falling asleep. She woke up to flames and smoke and alerted neighbors, who called 911. BURBANK – Police Sgt. Jay Hawver was drinking iced tea at the Coral Cafe at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday when he got a radio call – a house fire in the 400 block of North Griffith Park Drive, elderly woman possibly inside. Among the first at the scene, Hawver braved thick smoke and searing flames to pull 91-year-old May Fox out of her home, which caught fire after a still-smoldering cigarette was tossed in a wicker trash basket. After police helped Fox to safety, paramedics rushed her to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition in the intensive care unit. Even though Fox’s fate was uncertain, officers and firefighters praised Hawver and four of his colleagues for their valiant attempt to save her life. Police were the first to arrive and quickly pulled Fox out of the home. Hawver suffered a cut on his hand while climbing through a broken window to save her. “I couldn’t see anything, the smoke was so thick,” said Hawver, a 12-year department veteran. “The heat was very intense. When I first got in, I stumbled over a chair or a table, and was calling out for the lady, ‘Are you here? Is anybody in here?’ I didn’t know her name.” He said he heard coughing and moaning in the room and started feeling around. “I could feel a person. I could feel the leg,” he said. “I took ahold of her and picked her up off the bed and then turned back toward where I knew the window was at.” By that time, another officer, Jennifer Downs, was inside the room. She and Hawver lifted Fox out of her bedroom through the window and into the arms of other officers outside. They sat her on the lawn to give her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation before paramedics took her to the hospital. While she was fighting for her life, neighbors reacted with shock about their beloved friend, who they said loves gossip, ballroom dancing and singing along with her TV. “It’s an empty hole in the pit of my stomach,” said Flo Johnson, 66, a friend for 45 years. “She was a great lady. She was a fun lady. Everybody loved her. … She was a good neighbor. She was a good friend.” Helen Gregos, 83, a retired nurse, used to give Fox her medication before she had round-the-clock caretakers. “We’ve been friends a long time,” said Gregos, who has been praying that Fox recovers from her ordeal. “She knew all the news that was going on in the neighborhood: who was visiting who, which car pulled into my driveway and who was sleeping with who. What she didn’t see, she manufactured. “She’s very resilient. I expect her to come out of this.” Jason Kandel, (818) 546-3306 jason.kandel@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Gallery: The road to freedom

first_imgClick on a thumbnail for a larger image. Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption Caption CaptionREAD MORE:Part 1: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989Part 2: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989Part 3: The road to freedom August 1985 to December 1989last_img

Liliesleaf remembered 50 years on

first_img11 July 2013 Denis Goldberg was sitting in the lounge of the farmhouse reading a book when the South African police swooped on the high command of the African National Congress’s (ANC’s) military wing at Liliesleaf Farm back in 1963. The police must have been very pleased with themselves – they had hit bull’s eye: members of Umkhonto we Sizwe or MK were poring over Operation Mayibuye, the plan for guerrilla warfare in South Africa. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the raid on Liliesleaf, now in the upmarket suburb of Rivonia in northern Johannesburg, on 11 July 1963. In one of the outbuildings, six men were discussing Mayibuye – Raymond Mhlaba, Govan Mbeki, Lionel “Rusty” Bernstein, Walter Sisulu, Bob Hepple, and Ahmed Kathrada. Nelson Mandela himself was absent – he was serving a five-year sentence on Robben Island for inciting workers to strike, and for leaving the country without a passport. The men were all taken into custody and charged with sabotage, a sentence that carried the death penalty. But they didn’t go to the gallows – the resultant Rivonia Trial saw eight men convicted to life imprisonment, serving up to 27 years in jail.Banned The ANC had been banned in April 1960, forcing it to reconsider its commitment to non-violence, and to go underground. In mid-1961 it was decided to form Umkhonto we Sizwe, the Spear of the Nation. The farm at Liliesleaf was purchased, to be used for meetings of the ANC and MK. Mandela had at various times lived at Liliesleaf, in disguise as a gardener under the alias of David Motsamayi. The book Goldberg was reading was Brighter than a Thousand Suns: A Personal History of the Atomic Scientists, by Austrian Robert Jungk, first published in 1958. It is the first published account of the Manhattan Project and the German atomic bomb project, which studied the making and dropping of the deadly bomb, as told by the atomic scientists. It is based on interviews with those who played a major role in the construction and deployment of the bombs in WW2. “They hit the jackpot,” says Goldberg now. He recalls that he ran to the bathroom the moment he heard the police. He wanted to hide the notes he had made, showing his designs for the development of weapons. Goldberg trained as a civil engineer.Several ironies There is an irony in the fact that while MK were planning for armed resistance, not a single weapon was found at Liliesleaf. “The police searched the entire farm and confiscated hundreds of documents and papers, though they found no weapons,” writes Mandela in his autobiography Long Walk to Freedom. “One of the most important documents remained right on the table: Operation Mayibuye, a plan for guerrilla warfare in South Africa.” Another irony is that this was to be the last meeting at Liliesleaf. Hepple writes in a paper published in Social Dynamics in 1964 on the raid, “Rivonia: The story of accused no 11”, that they were aware that the police were getting closer to discovering Liliesleaf. “We all knew that the police were closing in on the leaders who were living underground. Many arrests had been made, including on June 25 that of five or six activists who knew about the Place.” That “Place” was Liliesleaf, of course, also referred to as “Lil’s place”. Hepple explains that there had been several breaches of security, with outsiders invited to Liliesleaf without approval, witnessing “eleven or twelve members of the central leadership”. Hepple, an advocate at the Johannesburg Bar at the time, wrote of his trip out to Liliesleaf: “I was full of anxieties as I drove from my chambers in central Johannesburg to the meeting at ‘Lil’s place’ (which is how we described Lilliesleaf Farm).”New headquarters Goldberg confirms that they had already bought a new headquarters, Travallyn in Krugersdorp, a small town on the western outskirts of Johannesburg. Several people had already moved into the small holding. But Bernstein had to get home within a specific time, as specified by his banning order. So it was agreed to meet at Liliesleaf for the last time. Hepple recounts the dramatic events on that afternoon at the farm: “It was about 3.15pm when a van was heard coming down the drive. Govan went to the window. He said, ‘It’s a dry-cleaning van. I’ve never seen it before’. Rusty then went to the window and exclaimed ‘My God, I saw that van outside the police station on the way here!’” Dogs were heard barking, and Bernstein shouted that it was the cops. “Govan had collected up the Operation Mayibuye document and some other papers and I saw him putting them in the chimney of the small stove in the room. The back window was open, and I helped Govan, Walter and Kathy [Kathrada’s nickname] jump out of it. There was a second or two as I moved back near the door, with Rusty next to me and Ray sitting next to the window. The door burst open. Detective Sergeant Kennedy, whom I had cross-examined in a political trial earlier that year, rushed in: ‘Stay where you are. You’re all under arrest.’ He walked up to me with an excited sneer: ‘You’re Advocate Hepple, aren’t you?’” It was all over. They were marched outside and searched, bundled into the back of the van, and after several hours, driven to The Fort in the city centre, then on to Pretoria Central Prison. Hepple spent three months in solitary confinement.Charged with sabotage Other arrests had been made. In October everyone appeared in the Supreme Court, charged with sabotage. Accused No 1 was Mandela, Hepple was Accused No 11. Hepple had been Mandela’s legal counsel when he was sentenced to five years on Robben Island in 1962. In an unexpected move, all charges against Hepple were withdrawn, and he was to be called as a witness for the state. He was released from prison. “I had no intention of testifying against the accused, whom I admired and respected,” he writes. He made plans to escape across the border into Botswana with his wife, on his way to Dar es Salaam, and on to London. “On Saturday, November 25th, as the news of Kennedy’s assassination broke, Shirley and I left our children and our parents, our home and friends, and the country we loved.” His children later joined him in London, where he still lives. He wrote his account a year later, just as the Rivonia trialists were sentenced to life imprisonment, on 12 June 1964. He went on to have a long and distinguished legal career. He is an international expert and activist in labour law, equality and human rights; Emeritus Master of Clare College and emeritus professor of law at the University of Cambridge in England; and has received several awards and honours, including a knighthood in 2004. Hepple launched a new book in Johannesburg this week, titled Young man with a Red Tie: a memoir of Mandela and the Failed Revolution 1960-1963. It recounts his escape to avoid testifying against the Rivonia trialists.Liliesleaf today The Liliesleaf farmhouse and outbuildings have been sensitively restored, and a new building housing a museum has been built on the site. “It is a site of immense significance,” says Nicholas Wolpe, CEO of the Liliesleaf Trust. Through the establishment of the Liliesleaf Trust and Legacy Project, the site has been developed into one of South Africa’s most prominent liberation landmarks. About 60% of the building infrastructure consists of original brickwork. During the excavation process, more than seven different types of brickface were uncovered and any post-1963 brick was discarded. This brickwork was used in the restoration of the historical buildings and structures, which today constitute the museum component of Liliesleaf, a project which began in mid-2004.Interactive museum experience A visit to Liliesleaf is much more than a dry history lesson. The interactive displays and beautifully restored buildings tell the story of commitment, dedication and selfless sacrifice of many people who fought for freedom from an oppressive apartheid government. A key component of the Liliesleaf Legacy Project has been the interviewing of numerous individuals linked to Liliesleaf, to build-up a comprehensive audiovisual archive of the farm’s history. The interactive tour takes visitors on a journey, retracing the footsteps of prominent anti-apartheid activists who spent time on the farm. At each point in the tour, visitors have an opportunity to experience a first-hand account of the events and circumstances leading up to the raid of the Rivonia farm, through interviews with struggle veterans. In the farmhouse, a large 3D interactive table allows visitors to pull up videos, images, audio and text about the farm’s history, using two aluminium navigator orbs. Tour guide Zein Khumalo says the table is the only one of its kind in the world. The electronically-controlled cabinet of curiosity holds an account of each event that culminated in the Rivonia trial. As each cabinet is pulled out, the accounts are automatically read out. A telephone rings in the corner of one of the manor house’s rooms – it’s one of those old bulky black phones with a dial, and on picking up the receiver, the telephone plays recorded stories of spy agents, terrorists and infiltrators. The award-winning touch screen technology, telephone stories, sparse furnishings and dark rooms convey the sense of secrecy, fear and tension that the struggle leaders must have lived with every day.In search of a historical artefact According to Wolpe, the vision for Liliesleaf Farm took root after a Rivonia trialists’ reunion on the site in 2001. This led to the farm being re-purchased and its original structures were uncovered by archaeological diggings. But after all the excavations, one important item is still missing – the search for Mandela’s highly prized Russian Makarov pistol is still on. Although it was reportedly only buried about 20 paces from the farmhouse kitchen, an extensive search still hasn’t delivered the artefact, now valued at about R22-million (US$3-million). The semi-automatic pistol is believed to be the first weapon of the war against apartheid. It was given to the young Nelson Mandela in 1962 by Colonel Biru Tadesse of the Ethiopian Riot Battalion in Addis Ababa, when Mandela was on a trip to seek military assistance. Mandela hid the pistol, and 200 rounds of ammunition, in a pit deep enough so that a plough could not uncover it, near an oak tree on the farm. At the time he hoped to retrieve it soon, but he never got the chance. A few weeks after he buried the firearm he was arrested and imprisoned.Celebrating South Africa’s journey to freedom As the search for the valuable firearm continues – and Wolpe thinks that renewed efforts will be successful – the Liliesleaf museum remains an important part of South Africa’s history. “Liliesleaf is our connection to South Africa’s past, a link to the present and a bridge to the future,” he says. What makes a visit to Liliesleaf worthwhile is that the individual memories of the struggle are conveyed by people who were actually there. It represents the beliefs, inspiration and aspirations of a fearless group of leaders who were committed to bringing about socio-political transformation based on democratic principles. “It is important that the memory and legacy of South Africa’s struggle for freedom is preserved in the hearts and minds of all South Africans,” he says. First published by MediaClubSouthAfrica.com – get free high-resolution photos and professional feature articles from Brand South Africa’s media service.last_img read more

Animal Health Alert: Bovine Tuberculosis Detected In SE Indiana

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest State Veterinarian Dr. Tony Forshey is recommending cattle owners in Southwest Ohio monitor their herds closely after the Indiana Board of Animal Health reported this week that bovine tuberculosis (TB) has been diagnosed in a wild white-tailed deer in Franklin County in Southeast Indiana. No cases have been diagnosed in Ohio.“While the extent to which the disease may be present in the wild deer population is not known, cattle owners in Southwest Ohio should be aware of this finding and take precautions,” said Dr. Forshey. “Monitor your cattle for signs of TB, including lethargy, low-grade fever, and cough, and to take steps to prevent contact between your cattle and wild animals.”Bovine tuberculosis is a chronic bacterial disease that affects primarily cattle, but can be transmitted to any warm-blooded animal. While clinical signs are not visible, in early stages, signs that the disease is progressing may include emaciation, lethargy, weakness, anorexia, low-grade fever and pneumonia with a chronic, moist cough.  Cattle owners who notice any of these signs in their livestock should contact their veterinarian immediately.Hunters should take precautions to protect themselves, including wearing gloves when field dressing animals and fully cooking all meat. Deer can be infected without noticeable signs of disease, like the doe that tested positive in Indiana. Hunters who notice signs of TB in wildlife should contact the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife at 1-800-WILDLIFE (945-3543).last_img read more