Vermont Yankee’s $60 million dilemma

first_img NRC makes Vermont Yankee license renewal official | Vermont … Mar 21, 2011 … In a letter dated March 21, 2011, US Nuclear Regulatory Senior Project Manager Robert Kuntz notified Michael Colomb, Entergy Vermont Yankee … Aug 27, 2002 … Vermont Yankee finally sold to Entergy by Robert Smith The deal had more than its share of up and down moments, but the sale of the Vermont … Northstar Vermont Yankee,By Kate Duffy, Vermont Business Magazine. Entergy Nuclear has a $60 million decision to make ‘ whether to invest in refueling Vermont Yankee, even though a federal judge refused to issue a preliminary injunction assuring the company it could continue operating the plant while its lawsuit against the state is pending. US District Court Judge J Garvan Murtha denied the request for a preliminary injunction in a decision issued Monday afternoon. He said Entergy failed to prove during a two-day hearing in June that it would suffer ‘irreparable harm’ before the case, schedule for trial in September, is decided.During the hearing, Entergy’s lawyers argued that without an injunction that would let it plan for future operations, the company may be forced to shut down the plant before its current license expires in March. It would be unlikely to make a $60 million investment in fuel rods without an indication from the court that it might win its case. ‘Entergy, while it has raised the possibility, has not persuaded the Court that a decision to shut down is likely and imminent,’ Judge Murtha wrote in the 18-page decision. Entergy is suing the state in federal court over whether a law that effectively gives the Legislature the right to shut down a licensed, operating nuclear power plant is constitutional. Vermont Yankee, the state’s only nuclear power plant, is slated to shut down on March 21, 2012, at the end of its original 40-year operating license. Citing the plant’s age and history of radioactive leaks, last year the Senate voted 26 to 4 not to allow the Public Service Board to issue a certificate of public good to let the plant operate beyond its scheduled shut-down. In March, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which regulates all of the nation’s 104 nuclear power reactors, approved a license extension that would allow the plant to continue generating power for another 20 years. Entergy says the plant is safe and reliable and should be allowed to continue operating. It had hoped a preliminary injunction would allow it to do so while the case is pending. Vermont Attorney General Bill Sorrell, a Democrat, said the state had won an important battle but still has a war to wage. ‘This was a nice win, but really what’s better is that the preliminary injunction was not issued,’ Sorrell said. ‘If one had been granted, that would have been a devastating blow to us because it would have required the finding by the judge, based on his understanding of the facts and the law, that it was likely that Entergy would prevail on the merits of the case as a result of the trial. We would have been really knocked backwards if that were the case.’ In ruling on the failure to prove irreparable harm, Judge Murtha did not address whether he thought Entergy could win its suit based on the merits of its case. ‘I was a little bit surprised that he so carefully skirted the merits,’ said Pat Parenteau, an attorney and professor at Vermont Law School who has been closely watching the case unfold. ‘He gave a few hints of what’s troubling him and things he wants to see addressed at trial. It’s like reading tea leaves in the opinion. But I was not at all surprised he found no irreparable harm.’ Parenteau noted it is extremely difficult to prove irreparable harm in a case like this. Instead, he noted the judge fast-tracked the case, scheduling the trial for September 12-14, in order to address the merits of the case and make a final decision. ‘The judge expressed no views whatsoever on the constitutional issues that Entergy has raised,’ Parenteau said. ‘Reading between the lines, what I see is a judge who believes the state has a right to close the plant for the proper reasons, but a judge who is not 100 percent convinced the state has done that.’ In a statement issued to reporters, Vermont Yankee spokesman Larry Smith said the company is ‘disappointed in the outcome.’ He made no indication of whether it will buy the fuel needed for the plant ‘ a decision he previously had said would have to be made by July 23. ‘Our request for a preliminary injunction was about keeping the plant’s workers employed, the plant running safely and the electric grid reliable until this case is resolved. In the upcoming days, we will be evaluating Judge Murtha’s opinion and assessing the company’s near-term options.’ RELATEDCourt denies preliminary injunction in Vermont Yankee caseThe Federal District Court for the District of Vermont issued a decision Monday evening in favor of the State of Vermont and denied Entergy’s request for a preliminary injunction that would have prevented the State from enforcing its laws during the pendency of the litigation. In a prepared statement, Attorney General William Sorrell called the decision ‘a very good first step in an important case.’  Mar 3, 2010 … Vermont Yankee engineers and technicians continue their investigation into the source of tritium in the plant’s groundwater.www.vermontbiz.com/node/14600 Vermont Yankee finally sold to Entergy | Vermont Business Magazine Vermont Yankee narrows search for tritium leak | Vermont Business …last_img read more

New suburban sales record for Brisbane as temperatures test auctioneers

first_img Record smashing suburbs of 2019 MORE REAL ESTATE STORIES Godfather of coral lists ‘Rivendell’ home This Kedron house now holds the suburb record.“We had over 150 groups through during the opens and the buyers were a couple from Sydney who had been flying up to find their dream home.”Real estate agents across Brisbane sizzled in their formal dress suits on Saturday as 65 properties went to auction. While onlookers fanned themselves, auctioneer Charles Higgins sweltered in a suit at the Clayfield auction.Fortunately, shorts, summer dresses and tshirts were the wardrobe of choice for the 50 onlookers and six of the seven registered bidders who came to see the entry level Clayfield property at 30 Childs St sell for the first time in 50 years. The entry-level property at 30 Childs St, Clayfield.“We’d better start before the benefit of this woollen suit wears off,” auctioneer Charles Higgins announced to the crowd at 10am.The auction kicked off with an easy $800,000 from bidder number three wearing shorts and casual slides. The Clayfield auction begins.A counter bid of $825,000 came from an elderly man bidding on behalf of his daughter.Bidder three then tried to slow the auction with a $15,000 rise but a bid from the road behind him blew most of the competition away.“$950,000,” said buyer’s agent Jordan Navybox, dressed in formal blue trousers but with a casual white polo shirt.“It’s important for people in our profession to look professional but at the same time, our clients like to be on the same level as us,” he said after the auction. “When you turn up in a suit it can be a bit overwhelming. Dress to suit the weather.”The elderly man with his daughter by his side, hung on for another few thousand until, at $990,000, his bid increase of $1000 was rejected.“We’re rounding to $1 million,” Mr Higgins said.“No, no way. Not interested,” came the reply. From here the auction became a tight race between the buyer’s agent bidding on behalf of an investor, and bidder group 14, a family of five who live in Kedron but were looking for an investment property in an area with high capital growth. The kitchen of 30 Childs St, Clayfield, where people registered to bid before the auction.Clayfield in Brisbane’s inner north has been a million dollar suburb for four years with CoreLogic property data showing the median house price is currently $1.05 million and McGrath New Farm lead agent Andrea Crossan had welcomed 45 buyers, mainly young families, downsizers and investors, through the property during its campaign. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus10 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market10 hours agoThe main living area at 30 Childs St, Clayfield.“We love this area, it will always be great for capital growth in a great location and it’s easy to rent out,” said David, whose wife Nicole was bidding on behalf of the family.At $1.01 million the house was announced on the market and after a volley of eight bids, the house sold for $1.061 million to the family of five. The shade of a poinciana tree helped bidders keep cool.“I could sense the people on my right really wanted that house,” Mr Navybox said afterwards.“The other guy was an opportunistic buyer, he didn’t seem too emotional about it. My client is looking for a renovation rather than something to rent out and right now it’s hard to find renovation opportunities in this area around Ascot, Hamilton, Hendra, New Farm.”Emotions were high in the kitchen of the three-bedroom pre-war house, as Sharman Phillips said goodbye to the home she first moved into as a 16-year-old.“My brother had a car accident and he bought this out of his settlement and that was 50 years ago,” Mrs Phillips said. “It’s a wonderful home.” Vendor Sharman Phillips and McGrath New Farm agent Andrea Crossan after the Clayfield auction.After the auction, Mr Higgins removed his MJ Bale jacket and slung it over his arm.“No, it’s off,” he said. “I won’t wear it to the next one. But we’re in the service industry and it’s a sign of respect for our clients.”But he said if a designer wanted to work on a summer uniform for real estate agents, he’d go for it.“Yeah, definitely. I think we’ll get to the stage where we might lose the suit and tie. I think we’re getting into that era where a casual approach is accepted but the way you dress is the representation of how you conduct business a lot of the time.” Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 1:48Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:48 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenBrisbane property market update01:48KEDRON set a new suburb record at auction yesterday when 12 registered bidders took a brand new house to auction where it sold for $1.72 million on one of the hottest days of the year.While in neighbouring Clayfield, eight registered bidders pushed the price of an entry level, unrenovated pre-war house above $1 million.“The market for us is awesome right now,” said Ray White lead agent Alistair Mcmillan, who welcomed over 100 people to the auction of 47 Thirteenth Ave, Kedron.last_img read more

The Prince George Fire Centre announces 21 new fires

first_imgMore information can be found at www.bcwildfire.ca, on their Twitter account, or on their Facebook page. “There are currently 5 fires burning in the Prince George fire zone, 6 in the Vanderhoof/Fort St. James fire zone, 4 in the Dawson Creek fire zone, 6 in the Fort Nelson fire zone, and 1 in each of the Mackenzie and Fort St. John fire zones,” Information Officer, Jill Kelsh explained.Kelsh says these fires are currently being assessed and resources are being allocated throughout the fire centre.The largest of these fires is 4 hectares in size, 30 kilometres south of Kotcho Lake in the Fort Nelson fire zone, according to the Wildfire Management Branch.- Advertisement -The Fort Nelson fire is currently under a modified response, which means it’s being actively monitored but not actively suppressed.“With an increase in fire starts, the Prince George Fire Centre is urging the public to be extremely cautious with campfire and forest use,” Kelsh said. “The fire danger rating is currently high to extreme throughout the entire Prince George Fire Centre.”The does not apply to campfires.Advertisementlast_img read more